X

New exhaust= excess after fire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New exhaust= excess after fire

I bought a 8" shorty delvekic exhaust and now there is excess after fire pops after giving getting on it. I had a Scorpion exhaust on there before and there was some, but not as much as now.

I took the carbs apart today, cleaned them, and popped the brass covers over the A/F screws and turned them to 2.5 turns out.

Bike ran better, idles nice, but still have an after fire. It's not AS bad as it was but it's still bad.

Should I get into the A/F screws again and turn it out to 2.75 or more?? What else could be causing the after fire?

Also, now that I put the bike back together the clutch is a lot tighter and engages right away (there isn't the .5" play like there should be). What did I do wrong??

Thanks in advance guys!

The exhaust has nothing to do with the clutch. Adjust the cable accordingly.

With the Delkevic exhaust, you should probably rejet. They seem to haVE a lot less restriction than most higher quality slip ons.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Maybe cluch cable is pinched or kinked in there somewhere when you put the tank back on?
      Im not a carburetor guru.

Comment

Originally posted by wismo View Post
        Maybe cluch cable is pinched or kinked in there somewhere when you put the tank back on?
        that was my first thought also.
        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by wismo View Post
          Thanks, I'll try to readjust.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          The exhaust has nothing to do with the clutch. Adjust the cable accordingly.

With the Delkevic exhaust, you should probably rejet. They seem to haVE a lot less restriction than most higher quality slip ons.
          As in Ivan's or FP jet kit?
          Last edited by Duddy; 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

FP, an the clutch will have nothing to do with it after you put on the delkevic mini, believe me, I have it. I dont know how it reacts with stock jetting as I am running stage 3 until I finish my FI conversion. But try richening it up, an if it needs it rejet.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I would jet the carbs with a Factory Pro stage 1 kit, keep the stock airbox/airfilter.

Your clutch feeling changed because you have the cable routed differently by the carbs than you did before removing them. Sometimes I see them routed between the carb boots on 1-2 carb bodies and the engine, and sometimes I see people push the cable over so it's outside the carbs and the side of the engine.

This routing change though minor will effect the feel at the lever.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                I would jet the carbs with a Factory Pro stage 1 kit, keep the stock airbox/airfilter.

Your clutch feeling changed because you have the cable routed differently by the carbs than you did before removing them. Sometimes I see them routed between the carb boots on 1-2 carb bodies and the engine, and sometimes I see people push the cable over so it's outside the carbs and the side of the engine.

This routing change though minor will effect the feel at the lever.

Krey
                I pushed the cable to the side as I've read that it's ok to do... Should I just try to reposition and see if it'll give some slack?

Comment

Originally posted by Duddy View Post
                  I pushed the cable to the side as I've read that it's ok to do... Should I just try to reposition and see if it'll give some slack?

Either routing is fine, just adjust it for how you want it to stay. That's all.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Is it an after fire, or is it popping? Popping on decel is normal for the most part.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thats what happened with my old 750 four with four unbaffled drag pipes. Always popped (and flamed) in decel, but it ran great. I was curious how this pipe was going to work our for you as it is essentially a strait 4 to one with no baffle. I dont think there is a fix for this as there is no back pressure at all, but I could be mistaken.
                      My YouTube Videos
                      My motorcyle map!

Comment

I'm working on fitting a db dawg for a 4stroke dirtbike exhaust into my mini, should provide decent back pressure as well as lower the volume 6-10 db. When I have it worked out I will put a before and after sound clip on my build thread.
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

You think YOU have an afterfire? You should try riding behind me...god I need to get a new map...

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            You think YOU have an afterfire? You should try riding behind me...god I need to get a new map...
                            +1 to that for us FI types...My SV1K is pretty bad sometimes, but mostly only when I get on it really hard.
                            Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                              +1 to that for us FI types...My SV1K is pretty bad sometimes, but mostly only when I get on it really hard.
                              My cruise is just awful. Right now I'm running a map for the Arata 4-2-1 and it's ridiculously lean at cruise. Close the throttle at anything over 4k rpm and you'd think I'm driving an F1 car...

Although, it is a LOT of fun to scream up to a crappy riced out civic and dump off the throttle right by their window....

Ba ding ding ding BOOM ding da ding...

Comment

Working...
                              X