X

custom turn signals, your opinion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom turn signals, your opinion?

the first picture is how I want to do the turn signals. I have a flexible, waterproof, LED strip that I want to mount inside of the stock turn signal holes with a wire mesh behind it. I Just thought of another idea the other day though. I would still take out the stock turn signals, and cover the holes with a wire mesh, but install yellow cold cathode tubes on either side of the fairings running vertically, and mount them so they can be seen from the side and the front. (second and third pictures below)
    I am not sure if cold cathode tubes would work though, becuase I don't know how well they would be seen during the day. So I might use something else

CC tubes

Mounted on the bike
    Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
    '97 Intruder 1400

Not too sure about the cathode tubes i think they may take away the clean lines, I like your idea on the led strip, just make sure its bright enough to see.
    Originally posted by chrisgreer23
    Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
    2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
    1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
    2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
    1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

the issue with the cold cathodes is that they aren't "instant on" like LEDs, or even inandescent bulbs... and in cold weather, hey take time to warm up to full brightness.

add to that the inverters for the cold cathodes may not like being pulsed... but thats something you'll have to test.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

CC will not be seen during the day. Cloudy day yes, sunny day no.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          CC will not be seen during the day. Cloudy day yes, sunny day no.
          that absolutely for sure.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

thanks for the input guys. You confirmed exactly what I was afraid of. Does anyone know of another product that looks like a CC tube, but will work better for this application? the whole idea is that I was looking for one continuous light beam, rather than the many little LEDs.
            Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
            '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Well I went with my first idea and here is the finished product. The LED strips were mounted by epoxying them to some wire shirt hangers and then epoxying them to the turn signal housing.

Click on the second picture for a video.

Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
              '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Looks like those cheap led bars from autozone lol.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  Looks like those cheap led bars from autozone lol.
                  They are actually cheap LED bars from eBay, Haha. I think once they are on the bike, they should look good. Not exactly how I wanted to execute it, but being a college student on a budget and a time schedule, I am incredibly happy.

Should I do it again, I would take a lot more time to create my own light bar and make it flat black like the rest of the housing. I may try to black out the housing for the LEDs to make it not stand out so much, but I want to see how bright the lights are on the road first.
                  Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                  '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

Looks good for what you had to work with!
                    "It's better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."-Herman Melville
                    Chris
                    graphic designer | drummer
                    2002 Katana 600
                    Check out my band Decadence @ Reverb Nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/decadenceband

Comment

i like your idea good job keep up the good work

Comment

good work i like it. i know how it is to build a bike on a limited budget.lol

Comment

Working...
                        X