X

Basic mods... I'm out of ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic mods... I'm out of ideas

Hey guys. I have had this bike ('04 600, yellow/black) for about 5 months now. I don't want to modify it TOO much. I have had a lot of experiences with modding the hell out of cars in the past and regretting the money and time wasted.

What I am looking for by starting this thread is suggestions on ''basic'' mod ideas that I might have left out. Please help me out here.

Currently, I have: 5 deg advancer, yosh CF slip-on, cut shovel, clear corners, tinted windshield, frame sliders, tank pad, fumoto valve.

What I do not want: solo seat cover, jet kit (not confident enough for carbs yet).

What other (inexpensive) options do I have in order to make the kat cooler than it already is? I mean, I love this bike, it's perfect. Fast enough, comfortable. Mainly looking for cosmetic, or ''useful'' mods. If it helps, I LOVE everything that is carbon fiber (my specialty is CFRP so naturally I love it :P).

Thanks!
    Last edited by KeWLKaT; 02-02-2009, 08:21 AM.

Well you could upgrade to HH brake pads, maybe a heavier fork oil if you need it. Or while your changing your fork oil you could look at upgrading your fork springs.

Same with the rear shock if you can find a replacement. Ohlins makes a sweet upgrade , if you can find one.

Have you thought of upgrading yourself? taking some advance riding courses or doing some track days?
    Kyle

Comment

Yeah that's going to have to wait... The class I want to take apparently is pretty much booked for the next year, so I'll probably be doing that in 2010. Besides since I'm a new rider it'll give me the chance to really know my thing before hitting the track.

Comment

Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
        Mainly looking for cosmetic, or ''useful'' mods.
        Cosmetically, mesh mod. Stripping and pollishing either the lip of the wheels or the insides of the wheel leaving the spokes with paint.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Some of my mods and extras

Alluminum bars
          Plastic bar ends
          Gel grips
          throttle lock
          EX500 race style screen
          Progressive springs
          EBC brakes
          Hindle pipe
          re-jet
          peg weights removed (I have alluminum GP style pegs for it)
          seat cowl
          dyna coils/ngk wires, Iridium plugs
          LED scanner in 3rd eye light
          Piaa extreme white lights
          removed luggage bars/helmet lock, center stand
          small CF look mirrors

things coming or *yet to be installed

*CF vinyl covering for forks, front fender, swing arm...
          gixxer clutch perch
          *vortex levers
          *NRC engine covers
          ss braided brake lines
          *mini rear signals
          alluminum cross memeber/tank support
          Gixxer mater cylinder
          Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-31-2009, 08:12 PM.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

After todays ride I can't believe how well the brake upgrade I did performed. A drastic difference in the control and stopping of the post kat. If you might think of upgrading your braking I can recommend it.

Brake Mod Link

Tmod
            Last edited by Tmod; 01-31-2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

What brake set up did you go with? just pads or lines and pads?
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                What brake set up did you go with? just pads or lines and pads?
                Just added link to that post and pics are in that thread as well.

Tmod

Comment

What I do not want: jet kit.
                  Wouldnt a jet kit be a good idea because of the pipe change??

Comment

Originally posted by SHARKBOY521 View Post
                    Wouldnt a jet kit be a good idea because of the pipe change??

With just a slip on, you really don't need to rejet. Your not getting enough flow with just a slip on. Now change to a aftermarklet header, or grind out the welds of your stock one, then yeah, rejet.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

but even bone stock the Kat runs a lot smoother with less vibrations with a jet kit...
                      I would recommend the Ivans

why anyone would not want to install a ket kit is beyond me.. I mean if its a matter of not wanting to try it yourself you can always send you carbs abd kit to a fellow member and have them do it for you and send them back

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                      Just added link to that post and pics are in that thread as well.

Tmod
                      Ooooooooooohhhh
                      that lil up grade
                      nice
                      Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-01-2009, 07:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

another thing you could think of is the aftermarket graphic kits.. that say gsxf vs katana.. thats a sweet mod.. a factory pro advancer seems to make quite a bit of difference on the kat as well. from what i've heard haven't done it myself

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                          but even bone stock the Kat runs a lot smoother with less vibrations with a jet kit...
                          I would recommend the Ivans

why anyone would not want to install a ket kit is beyond me.. I mean if its a matter of not wanting to try it yourself you can always send you carbs abd kit to a fellow member and have them do it for you and send them back
                          Same here I hear several say ahhh I don't need a jet kit but until they feel what a jet kit does they don't know what they are missing. Oh well their choice though.

Tmod

Comment

Right now I don't feel confident enough about working on carbs, however it is a plan in the future (i do NOT want to get it done, I hate that). Perhaps next year.

Comment

Right now I don't feel confident enough about working on carbs, however it is a plan in the future (i do NOT want to get it done, I hate that). Perhaps next year.
                              like i said, unbolt them, drain them, flush um out with carb cleaner then ship um to a fellow Kat member.
                              Several of us have rejetted carbs for decades and its no big deal, and would be happy to help you out.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                              X