X

GSXR Wheel in a Katana Swingarm.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSXR Wheel in a Katana Swingarm.

No worries, not gonna ask you if/what/how...

I just wanted to show instead...

I'll be posting a full write up on it with lots of pics later, but if you look close you probably can figure out what I did. I have to work in the morning and don't have time tonight. The swingarm is now being taken to the "official" welding shop to be straped to a flat plate and be fully welded up. This is the mock up after we tacked it back together and put the wheel in to check our clearances and measurments were right.

Still have spacers to make once that is done, new bearings for the wheel, and a similar adjustment to the brake arm as we did to the swingarm so that it also clears the wheel. When I'm done, should have a process to make it so it's really just a bolt up and go swingarm, after you mod the subframe of course.

I'm all excited... it's getting closer...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Coooool

Comment

holy ****, someone who actually does something and doesn't ask a million retarded questions. very nice dude. Why is the chain on the wrong side? Oh, I see the rotor is too, flip it over.
      Last edited by arsenic; 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Chris, you forgot the work "ask"

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Cool indeed.

Comment

I'll fix that asap

Comment

Is this the same axle you posted in the other place?
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

nice!
                sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                k9 GSX-R 600
                GO VOLS!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  holy ****, someone who actually does something and doesn't ask a million retarded questions. very nice dude. Why is the chain on the wrong side? Oh, I see the rotor is too, flip it over.
                  LOL.. yeah, we noticed that right after I took the pic, and did flip it then checked clearances.

It's seriously looking like I will NOT have to offset the front sprocket at all after I'm done, but I won't know for sure untill the welding is finished and I can bolt it up.

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                  Is this the same axle you posted in the other place?
                  The one sticking our the right side of the pic is. We used both (old and new) so that we would have something to pull on to make sure of clearances when moving the wheel to the front and back of the slots.

Then I put in only the new to make sure I have it's length right. It came out perfect.

After it is welded up, I'll get some more pics and post them.

So excited I can't sleep as I'm already running the next 10 steps through my head... /sigh

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Looking great, can't wait to see write up, pics and final results.

Comment

Is the area of the weld reinforced somehow on the inside? A weld by itself in that area will not last as that is an area of VERY high stress with the wheel having great leverage at that point. That is why the stock swing arms are bent at those points and not cut / welded.
                      I only bring this up for your safety since it would / will cause a huge crash when it breaks.

Comment

LOL... You know, I just went back and looked at the pic.. and realized this IS after we fliped the wheel, but it was still upside down.

This pic is when we had it on the right side for the rotor. I misunderstood...

I didn't even check the pic because we did put it on wrong to start... and went WTF?

Is the area of the weld reinforced somehow on the inside? A weld by itself in that area will not last as that is an area of VERY high stress with the wheel having great leverage at that point. That is why the stock swing arms are bent at those points and not cut / welded.
                        I only bring this up for your safety since it would / will cause a huge crash when it breaks.
                        I will be adding an external brace for that reason, as well as to reduce the flex these swingarms have a little. We will be using a piece of 1" square stock for that, and weld it to the bottom side.

Krey
                        Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM.
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

Looking good. Nice Mod!

Comment

Looks promising!

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                            Actually, the weld will hold if its a quality weld. The problem lies that most of the time, with a good welder, the strength of the weld is higher then that of the metal being welded. In addition to flat stock, you should also at gussets in the corners on the inside of the arm, that will give you alot of structural support
                            Last edited by katanawarrior; 01-21-2009, 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            Currently Riding:
                            1995 Katana 600
                            V&H Exhaust
                            Jet Kit

SOLD
                            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                            1987 XV700 Bobber
                            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                              Looks promising!

Actually, the weld will hold if its a quality weld. The problem lies that most of the time, with a good welder, the strength of the weld is higher then that of the metal being welded. In addition to flat stock, you should also at gussets in the corners on the inside of the arm, that will give you alot of structural support
                              I'm fortunate enough that the person who is helping me with this is a profesional welder at a top notch welding company. He welds just about anything that can be sent to a shop to be welded, and really knows his stuff. I do believe he mentioned doing just that as well. Thanks for the tip.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X