815cc & 907cc Piston/Cam Kits

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
      All the HP in the world is useless if you can't cruise down the highway on your way to that twisty road, or you can't take off smoothly from a stop light without slipping the clutch so much that you burn up your discs every couple months.
      very tru, so many people get caught up with I wonder if I could and dont stop and think if they should.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I say do what ever the hell you want, and don't let other people get you down. Just because others think it is a bad idea doesn't make it one. I love sleepers myself so if it is a project that you want to tackle i say go for it, but a word of caution build it for you to ride because it will be hard to get the money you spend back out of it.
        "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post

Dynojet and K & N work wonders in my V-Star. never had either in the Kat. So maybe they just didn't but enough R&D into the Kat platform, but all in all they make quality stuff...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Too late to head to the lobby for some and make it back for the show?
            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
              Dynojet and K & N work wonders in my V-Star. never had either in the Kat. So maybe they just didn't but enough R&D into the Kat platform, but all in all they make quality stuff...
              it's fairly obvious you never had them in a Katana, cause you wouldn't say that

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                I don't know where you get your information.....

The pre98 (I'm just guessing it's a pre98) 750 carbs are 36mm, yes, but so are the 88-89 GSXR750 (same engine, sans cams). The 38mm carbs didn't come until after they went back to the long stroke engines. If you want you can swap the cams, and you'll have a GSXR engine. As for the bottom end/transmission/clutch holding up..... if you make absurd power, you'll need to upgrade the clutch. I don't know the absolute limits on what the bottom end will hold reliably, but I know it's upwards of 130rwhp. I would actually guess more like 150hp, seeing as the 85-87 GSXR750 bottom end (same as the kat 600 bottom end, fyi) will hold 130hp itself.

Ok, so to the original poster..... If you have a healthy pre98 750, then you're probably sitting on maybe 85rwhp. After swapping in GSXR cams (~$350), and doing, say, a 3mm overbore with 12:1 compression (as per Wiseco's kit, ~$575 parts, $labor depends on you, but boring would run you about $150 if you do all assembly and disassembly), a full 4-1 exhaust (~$400), and well set up carburetors ($ depends on your talent with carbs)....... I don't see any reason why you couldn't see 115 or 120hp. That might be a little generous, but I'm trying to be optimistic here.

The down side is reliability. Compression puts a lot of stress on things, unfortunately. Also, 3mm is the max overbore, so if your bores get f**ked up somehow, then you'll need new cylinders.

If you want to find out more about highly modified motors of this type, you could always check out some gsxr forums.
                Did you actually say anything besides what I said and elaborate further on specs and history?

Comment

Originally posted by Dago View Post
                  The main difference after that kit would be the carbs. The Katana's carbs are only 36 mm. However, properly jetted with that kit I'd be willing to bet your engine would be making more power than any stock 88-90 GSX-R 750 . . . maybe even any stock Bandit 1200 (but your overall durability would suck compared to the Bandit 1200 I'm sorry to say). Both platforms would also weigh about the same. Everyone complains the Katana is so heavy, in reality it's just the difference in weight of a fat guy and an average guy when comparing it to even brand new GSX-Rs.

Of course. the bike feels a lot heavier than that because of the way it is balanced, but the higher demand performance physics people tend to notice don't change. The weight being proportioned higher on the katana will even require you to act less like a monkey in high-lean angle turns to gain fast cornering speeds . . . but I don't feel like going into that or the fact that you'll have to show more finesse at low speeds. My main concern after all that power would be the transmission and clutch and how they probably won't hold up to any realll application. In the end, I'd say if you're not looking at going all out and forging and boosting the motor, don't bother getting the awesome pistons, cams, and springs for it when you can swap in a Bandit motor that'll make 130 wheel horsepower with stock $350 GSX-R cams and a $140 jet kit. I know it would seem like the complete suck to swap in the new motor after just putting in the 750 motor, but that's what I'd say to do as opposed to that kit.

If you just want to keep the 750 motor, just throw on an Ivan's jet kit, timing advancer, iridium spark plugs, and be happy would be my best recommendation. That estimated 10 or so horsepower wouldn't throw all the other parts so far out of operating spec that they'd be a durability risk in my honest opinion.
                  Your original post.........

Did you actually say anything besides what I said and elaborate further on specs and history?
                  Yes, I did.....

You said the difference would be that the kat has ONLY 36mm carbs, but that happens to be what the GSXR had as well. Also what the Bandit 1200 has, FYI.

You expressed concern about the bottom end holding up to a whopping 130hp, which is just dead wrong.

Oh, and Ivan doesn't make a kit for pre98's.

On top of that, you said some things that frankly, I can't make sense of. You'll find them highlighted in your original post^
                  Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    I'll agree with you on Dynojet. The platforms that they choose to really do work on, they do a good job with. But K&N.......

They make power, sure. They just don't give enough protection. Like, if K&N made condoms, they would only be 60% effective, instead of 99% effective.

I know that protecting your motor isn't as important as protecting your income for the next 18 years, but you get the point, right?
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yeah, I made a typo in the original post. If he has a 1986 750 Katana, which is what I assume as a result of his user name, he actually only has 32 mm carbs, not 36.

I said overall durability would suck at 130 wheel horsepower (equivalent to about 155 engine horsepower) and it would, you try it for us and let us know how it goes (dead wrong, lolllll).

Higher demand physics as in acceleration, since that is what most people notice. You're right about one thing, Ivan doesn't make a kit for his carbs, it was a typo and I mean a jet kit but I just automatically associate Ivan with Katana.

Comment

let explain why dynojet and K&N suck on a Katana, CP you might wanna make a file for this cause I'm only gonna do it once.
                        Ok, large companies, such as DynoJet, K&N, and Suzuki are in this to what? MAKE MONEY! DJ and K&N both make great products for bikes that sell. They do not give a flying **** up a running squirels *** about a tuna. Suzuki, for example, when the Katana 600 first came out in like the early years like 88, it was a great selling bike, why? Because there was no GSXR 600. So DJ and K&N do not care about the Katana platform, they make stuff but do not do a lot of R&D, they make stuff and some people think "this was awesome in my Chevy Silverado, it must be great in a Katana, FALSE! That leaves you with a few companies that make great stuff:
                        Factory Pro - take the name "Factory Professional", Marc, the owner of that company is a perfectionist, this helps them A LOT. What Factory Pro does is what I do on a much larger scale. They take things that suck from the factory (like a Katana) and they make it better. Look at there products, the jet kit, great work, the Katana is lean from the factory, they fixed that. The shift kit, bikes have a weak shift spring, they fixed that. The "long boy" fuel screws, a/f screws are a pain in the nuts, they fixed that.
                        Holeshot - Smaller company, they focus on Bandit's then someone said "hey the Katana and Bandit are like the same damn bike" So they make stuff for a Katana.
                        Ivan's Performance - Very small company, not to mention Ivan got his start in the business through Marc at FP, for a while his kits were simply FP kits with his name on them.
                        Now some exceptions, DynoJet owns Dynatec which make Dyna coils, they kick ***. 3 ohm coils work on a **** load of bikes, that's why. So if you wrap your head around simple economics it's fairly simple to understand.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 11-12-2008, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I made a typo in the original post. If he has a 1986 750 Katana, which is what I assume as a result of his user name, he actually only has 32 mm carbs, not 36.

I said overall durability would suck at 130 wheel horsepower (equivalent to about 155 engine horsepower) and it would, you try it for us and let us know how it goes (dead wrong, lolllll).

Higher demand physics as in acceleration, since that is what most people notice. You're right about one thing, Ivan doesn't make a kit for his carbs, it was a typo and I mean a jet kit but I just automatically associate Ivan with Katana.
                          Hahaha, alright buddy. It's obvious you've logged more hours than I have on these things.

Comment

Well, since you want to put it that way, I'll also point out that the 1989 GSX-R 750 had 40mm slingshot carbs, further making my original post correct even with the typo.

Comment

Well, since you want to put it that way, I'll also point out that the 1989 GSX-R 750 had 40mm slingshot carbs, further making my original post correct even with the typo.
                              I'll allow somebody else to correct that for you. Maybe somebody who's an expert on the same scale as you, eh?

Comment

Or maybe you should just understand I'm talking about the R option package.

Comment

Working...
                                X