X

Bang 4 the buck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsunami View Post
    Ok so i have been taking my bike to the track lately and been running 11s my fastest is an 11.34 on a stock 05 kat 600... and i really want to hit 10s with it... i talked to the guy at the shop and i might as well have talked to my dog cause he didn't help much... i just ordered a two brothers m5 slip on but i was wondering what else i might be able to do without major changes like engine swap or something like that
    You could adjust your cam timing. Degree your cams.

Comment

You all are missing the reaction time of .003. That's impressive. That's probably good for 2/10's of a E.T. when all is said and done.

A perfect reaction time is .000. Even the world's best drag racers are in the .010 to .050 range.

Like I said, when all is said and done, usually more is said than done
      Last edited by Phil the Thrill; 09-24-2008, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil the Thrill View Post
        You all are missing the reaction time of .003. That's impressive. That's probably good for 2/10's of a E.T. when all is said and done.
        reaction time has absolutely nothing to do with ET. It doesnt matter if you sit at the light for .010 second or 5 minutes. The timer doesnt start when the light goes green, it starts when your front wheel breaks the beam.
        Last edited by Liltroy; 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM.
        sigpicIn Memory Of Troy Allen Bell
        RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
        I Miss You Pop
        2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa
        BMC aif filter,Lowered,Small air box mod,Bar riserers

Comment

Originally posted by Phil the Thrill View Post

A perfect reaction time is .000. Even the world's best drag racers are in the .010 to .050 range.

Like I said, when all is said and done, usually more is said than done
          R/T doesn't figure into your ET. You'll notice this if you watch drag racing enough........ Guy 1 runs a 6.88 Guy 2 runs a 6.89, but Guy 2 wins because his R/T was better. It can make the difference between win or loss, but it's not calculated into your ET. ET is from the time you left the beam at the launch, to the time you trip the beam at the line.

10.8 on a 600 with nitrous is believable. Low 11's on a stock 600 is fishy. I caught a bunch of s**t from someone back in the day on here because I ran 11.36 on a lightly modded 750. Video evidence was the only way for me to clear it up...... I think it's needed here as well.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Also, since the reaction time "timer" actually starts at .500 second(.400 on a pro tree), a .003 wasnt a good reaction time.....it means he would have redlighted(or left before the green lit up, being disqualified in an actual race). Just had to throw that in there. on a full tree, a .500 reaction time is considered perfect because it takes the green light exactley .500 of a second to light after the last amber goes out. Thats why the reaction timer actually starts before you even see the light.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            . I caught a bunch of s**t from someone back in the day on here because I ran 11.36 on a lightly modded 750. Video evidence was the only way for me to clear it up...... I think it's needed here as well.
            mid 11's is pretty much the norm for a 750 kat according to every test I've read.
            Last edited by Liltroy; 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
            I Miss You Pop
            2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

What's the point of video backup? Most of the know it all's on here would just come up with other statements like "It must have a 750 engine or a 1127" or any number of other claims to try to cast doubt on the poor guy lol. (I still haven't seen anything about how much he actually weighs either)
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

I've got no doubt that a 600 katana with the mentioned mods would do 10 seconds with a skilled rider. I DO however have some doubt as to weather or not he actually has those mods. And as for the nitrous, I just want to see what kinda set-up it is.
                RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                I Miss You Pop
                2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

You missed my sarchasm...(More is said than done!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Liltroy View Post
                    mid 11's is pretty much the norm for a 750 kat according to every test I've read.
                    Well I wish you were around to back me up in like 2005, or 2006 or whenever I was catching s**t for it!

I don't think anyone doubts that if you dump enough nitrous into a 600, you can get into the 10's. The only thing I'm a little shaky about is mid 11's bone stock. Even corrected (read "unattainable) 1/4 mile times in the mags don't come anywhere close to that.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I've seen alot of times by magazine riders put to same by average joes, but not by a full second. I was watching that show"PassTimes" one night and a 16 year old kid on a brand new hayabusa with only 14 miles on it and no mods except an exhaust ran a 9.28 his first time out on it. That was WAY faster than any magazine test I've seen even to date, and it suprised everyone.....but it was only about a half second. We're talking a full second faster than any posted time on a stock 600kat. I know with cars,several years back, sometimes you got a "factory freak" that had to be bored a little at the factory or the tuning was a bit off in a good way due to imperfections or what not......dont know about modern bikes though. I guess anything is possible, but then again, when you're on the internet...people tend to talk alot of **** and sometimes..flat out lie to try to make themselves feel better. I remember when I had my corvette, there was a guy on a corvette forum i used to go to all the time. He was a member there before I was and was always talking about all the crap he had done to his vette. Even seemed pretty knowledgable about them. Until the guy that really owned the vette that he'd been posting pics of joined the site,lol. Guy had been lieing and dreaming for over a year to everyone....funny **** right there.
                      RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                      I Miss You Pop
                      2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Also, since the reaction time "timer" actually starts at .500 second(.400 on a pro tree), a .003 wasnt a good reaction time.....it means he would have redlighted(or left before the green lit up, being disqualified in an actual race). Just had to throw that in there. on a full tree, a .500 reaction time is considered perfect because it takes the green light exactley .500 of a second to light after the last amber goes out. Thats why the reaction timer actually starts before you even see the light.

You're absolutely right. .500 is a perfect light when using the old incandescent bulbs in the tree. With the new L.E.D lights that most tracks are going to, along with newer timing systems, .000 is a perfect light. I want to say with the new timing system, when the last amber comes on, the timer counts down from -.500; a redlight being -.001; perfect green being .000; then it starts counting up when the green light is lit, hence someone having a .023 light for example. Same thing for the .400 pro tree. Hope that makes sense.
                        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                        90 GSXR 750/1216
                        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                          You're absolutely right. .500 is a perfect light when using the old incandescent bulbs in the tree. With the new L.E.D lights that most tracks are going to, along with newer timing systems, .000 is a perfect light. I want to say with the new timing system, when the last amber comes on, the timer counts down from -.500; a redlight being -.001; perfect green being .000; then it starts counting up when the green light is lit, hence someone having a .023 light for example. Same thing for the .400 pro tree. Hope that makes sense.
                          That makes sense. I've just never been to a track that used led's I guess. Everytrack I've ever been to...anything under a .500 was a redlight. Of course, most tracks around here are run down as **** so they wouldnt have anything like that. Seems like that would really screw up someones timing though since everydrag racer out there is used to the .500 second delay. If there was no delay then it would be impossible to judge the drop of the tree. Or maybe I'm missing something????

OK, I found this article:
                          "The triple-zero reaction time is not tied into the LED lights," added Miller. "It was done to make the reaction times more user- or fan-friendly."
                          Though the .000 reaction-time system means nothing more than a different look on the time slips, the LED lights have had an effect on performance. The side effect of the LED bulbs was noticed instantly by racers who immediately had much quicker reaction times. Drag racing is a sport in which performance is measured in thousandths of a second, and in the case of the LED lights, most drivers were affected by about .030-second. Drivers "see" the LED bulbs much quicker than the incandescent bulbs, so their reaction times have been much quicker across the board.

Apparently, the delay is still there and the new numbering system has nothing to do with the led bulbs, they just did it to make it easier to understand for people that didnt comprehend the whole .400 and .500 system. The leds are being used to avoid bulb burnouts during events and because the human eye "sees" them better.
                          Last edited by Liltroy; 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                          I Miss You Pop
                          2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

There's still the .500 delay between each bulb. When you first start racing on an L.E.D. bulbed tree, you will redlight your butt off....Since, when activated, incandescent bulbs take a split second to become fully illuminated, you're not looking at the full brightness of the bulb the instant it's activated, and you won't (at least I didn't) react to the bulb until it's fully illuminated, so you're actually reacting a split second after the bulb is activated. With the L.E.D's, they are fully illuminated the instant they're activated, so you will react to the light quicker. Remember when the Top Fuel guys on T.V. were racing on incandescent bulbs? They were lucky if they had a .640 light (.140 on an L.E.D. tree) Now you watch them and they're .060 to .080 pretty consistently...because they can react faster to the new bulbs.

"The triple-zero reaction time is not tied into the LED lights," added Miller. "It was done to make the reaction times more user- or fan-friendly."

Sorry I didn't emphasize that.....Lol, won't be the last time I'll be wrong.
                            Last edited by JimG4652; 09-28-2008, 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            90 GSXR 750/1216
                            sigpic

Comment

Dont get it what I said twisted bro. I didnt think you were wrong...I was just letting you know that I understood what you were saying after reading that article and putting the info out for anyone else that reads this so they can understand it as well. Anyway...if he was running at a led equipped track, then he had a really good reaction time.....if not, then he redlighted. Wish they'd switch to those at the tracks around here.
                              RIP 06/24/53 - 01/08/08
                              I Miss You Pop
                              2006 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Comment

Dont get it what I said twisted bro. I didnt think you were wrong...I was just letting you know that I understood what you were saying after reading that article and putting the info out for anyone else that reads this so they can understand it as well. Anyway...if he was running at a led equipped track, then he had a really good reaction time.....if not, then he redlighted. Wish they'd switch to those at the tracks around here.

No worries here...I really thought they switched to the .000 system because of the L.E.D. bulbs, so I apologized for giving everyone mis-information. That article is the best-explained one I've read.

Only bad part about the LED's are I think they're pretty expensive.
                                Hopefully y'all will get them soon, though..they're pretty nice.
                                90 GSXR 750/1216
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X