X

wind screen help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wind screen help

just got my Lockhart Phllps Speedscreen in but it says for 1998 -01. I have a 06 is there a difference will it fit? Thanks just wanna know before I try to install it.
    Last edited by Clayton 1; 02-15-2008, 11:10 PM.

Same fitment.

TIPS:
    The mirrors need to come off to give you enough space to splay the fairings away from the windshield.
    The plastic pop-snap at the bottom comes undone by pushing up on the point on the underside with a flathead screwdriver while pushing down on the surrounding ring on the opposite side. Personally, I always replace this particular pop-snap with one or two zip-ties instead (cheaper and hold tighter).
    There are some black rubber sleeved nuts in the top two holes on the outside. You'll need to move them from the old screen to the new one.
    Still can't get it off? There's two phillips-head screws on the instrument surround that also are holding it in. Twist the handlebars all the way to get at the easier.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the help.

Comment

I just did my 04, with the Lockhart Phillips. Dont care for it too much as leaves a strange divot at the bottom center, but it looks good, and I dont have time to play with it. Allow some time if you are going to play with fitment. I neat trick I did though. The rubber gromets that go from the old into the new, dont go easy. Tie a string around each a couple of times, no knots. Once screen generally in place, push the string through from the backside, this will give you help pushing the gromet through the backside of the front center fairing. You can untwist the string to get the gromets to fit right. Sounds strange, but you'll see once you get going.
        '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
        ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
          I just did my 04, with the Lockhart Phillips. Dont care for it too much as leaves a strange divot at the bottom center, but it looks good, and I dont have time to play with it.
          There's something wrong with it -- fitment should be identical.

Allow some time if you are going to play with fitment. I neat trick I did though. The rubber gromets that go from the old into the new, dont go easy. Tie a string around each a couple of times, no knots. Once screen generally in place, push the string through from the backside, this will give you help pushing the gromet through the backside of the front center fairing. You can untwist the string to get the gromets to fit right. Sounds strange, but you'll see once you get going.
          I just coat the outsides with some grease or vasoline & push them though. Good trick though -- I'll have to try to remember it.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was afraid Vas could hurt rubber grommet? Not the case??
            '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
            ME.

Comment

I was afraid Vas could hurt rubber grommet? Not the case??
              Shouldn't. I do have Castrol Red Rubber grease here that I use on rubber stuff most of the time, but vasoline will work in a pinch.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X