No announcement yet.
X

Do you need to use jet kit for 2bros

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like ill give it a go then! Can you suggest which one to look into and stage 1, 2 etc? I don't really care about getting more power but if the bike will run better than i'm all for it!
    2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

Start with http://www.holeshot.com/katana/ktn_stage1mod.shtml
      Or http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/Kat600.htm

The pre and post carbs are almost identical except for the TPS sensor.

I don't think that anyone sells a "stage 2" kit for the kat or the bandit. Not much gain to be had over the stage 1. stage 3 usually refers to doing full headers + pod filters which can be a nightmare to tune properly.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

last question. Isaw on the ivan jekit page that it's for offroad use only. Does that mean i'dfail NJ inspection if i did it. No prob doing it but i don't want to have to deal with having to pay to pass.
        2005 600, Chopped Shovel, Smoked Turn Signals and Rear Light, 14/50 Sprocket Change, Lubetronic, Whiteface Gauges, Chrome Reflective Screen, Anodized Bar ends and Levers, Met. z3's and some nuts and bolts!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonyquest97
          last question. Isaw on the ivan jekit page that it's for offroad use only. Does that mean i'dfail NJ inspection if i did it. No prob doing it but i don't want to have to deal with having to pay to pass.
          If the happened to open up the carbs, or use an exhaust sniffer... maybe.

They are "off road use only" for legal reasons. Mostly because they make the fuel mix richer, this higher emissions.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by BlackF
            On my bike the Jet kit was almost no gain so it wasn't installed.
            Instead they flowed the cylinderhead (is this good English? )

Result with Exhaustmod: 95 HP on the wheel and 79 NM torque
            I'm curious about what you mean by "flowed the cylinder head" (can you explain it in more detail?

If you didn't get any significant improvement, it's probably because the jetkit wasn't a good kit for the bike, or the place that installed it turned around and leaned the mixture back out to comply with local laws (the whole reason for a jetkit is to richen the mixture to a target mix of 13:1 air-to-fuel; ideal for pollution control is 14.7:1).

Originally posted by steves
            Euro spec bikes already have a more advanced timing, and as I recall... a richer fuel mix.
            Originally posted by kwebbel
            Sorry to say but that's totall BS
            The main EU katanas (at least 98+) really do have significantly more advance than the stock US-spec bikes. They also get different CDi units. There are differences between certain countries' versions as well (Austria for example did get the US-spec stuff for pollution control reasons). The tables in the back of the 98+ Factory manual for each supplimentary year show the exact differences in jetting, pilot settings, and advance (among other things) between the different country codes/markets.

I suspect the differences are more to do with where each standard measures their pollution and sound-levels for certification; the German version, for example, is much richer at idle than the US version -- the Germans probably aren't measuring at hot idle for certification.

Originally posted by kwebbel
            Over here in Europe we're getting sick and tired off the European Government with their emissions standards...
            Don't feel bad, we're getting exactly the same standards handed to us as well.
            The real shame is that no one in government has enough sense to figure out that if they required vapor-sealed gas tanks on motorcycles, it would clean up the environment literally dozens (or even hundreds) of times better than clamping down on what's coming out of the exhaust -- unburned fuel evaporating out of the tank is massively rich in the same compounds.
            To put that last statement into perspective: a late 60's Ford Mustang parked (not running) on a hot summers day produces more pollution out of it's gas tank than a dozen 2000 toyota celicas running poorly at 60 mph. The same is generally true for motorcycles.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              On my bike the Jet kit was almost no gain so it wasn't installed.
              Instead they flowed the cylinderhead (is this good English? )

Result with Exhaustmod: 95 HP on the wheel and 79 NM torque
              I'm curious about what you mean by "flowed the cylinder head" (can you explain it in more detail?

If you didn't get any significant improvement, it's probably because the jetkit wasn't a good kit for the bike, or the place that installed it turned around and leaned the mixture back out to comply with local laws (the whole reason for a jetkit is to richen the mixture to a target mix of 13:1 air-to-fuel; ideal for pollution control is 14.7:1).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Ok..I'll try to explain in my best english

The adjusted(flowed) the inlet en outlet on the cylinderhead for better breatin in and out.
              They also flattend the cylinderhead so it got more compression.

After these adjustments, they took the bike for a dynorun with the jetkit installed, but it gave to little gain to make it worth the extra costs.

All these works have been done by an ex-motoGP Suzuki-engineer, who has his own company and racing team now (Hoegee Motortechniek)

Hope I wrote it in understandable English

Comment

Yes, that makes better sense.

You might want to look at this too:
                CyberPoet's "How to grind out sloppy header weld seams"

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ordered the 2 bros slipon and i'm going to do the ivans at the same time. Should i also do the ingnition advancer. Will the "poor man's" be ok?

Also, i have a free tune including valve adj. from the dealer i bought the bike at. Will he jet kit or the ignition adv. void ne thing. I saw someone post that with the ignition advancer, to do a valve adj. you need the old plate or something.

Comment

Never mind. It doesnt effect valve adjustments. Found the info lol.

Comment

Personally, I would recommend the advancer, and the actual manufacturered one at that (impossible to screw up), but advancing the US models is always recommended for performance. The only US riders I wouldn't suggest the advancer to is those who frequently get caught in traffic jams (or take part in parades, etc), as it does run the engine hotter.

As for the Europeans: check your advance before you make any changes. They can already be 9 to 13 degrees advanced from TDC (compared to 4 degrees on the stock US models).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The adjusted(flowed) the inlet en outlet on the cylinderhead for better breatin in and out.
                        Ok , so they ported the head , and cut the deck to up compression . Old trick . Don't seem to hear about it much HERE , though .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86

Ok , so they ported the head , and cut the deck to up compression . Old trick . Don't seem to hear about it much HERE , though .
                          Same over here,,they don't do this very often.

But we walked through all options and this option was the best costs/hp-gain in the end for my bike.

Comment

Working...
                          X