X

Increasing underseat storage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing underseat storage

I know it's been brought up before, but I have tried every concievable way to Search for underseat storage, only to wind up with 4 non-related threads, plus one cool one of Cyberpoets fuseblock.
    I'm at a slight disadvantage since I have '96 600 (two pc seat, half the storage of a full seat) But there hvs to be a way to increase capacity to carry more than the factory toolkit.
    any ideas or examples? I may resort to building a recessed bux (into fender, away form tires reach, but I wanted to see what other options there are out there.

Don't let me down guys I've seen all kinds of creativity on here
    I would love to meet the voices in my head

96 Katana 600 (my ride)
    05 Ninja 250 (wife's ride)

Get a solo cowl from Airtech??

You get lots of storage space under one of those cowls.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I've always thought of using the space where my airbox USED to be (running pods) to make some kind of box fit there .... But I'm thinking of putting the airbox back on anyway . Nope , not a whole lot to be done . Carry a backpack , and get a bungee net . Coincidentally , I stopped at the grocery store tonight and was able to EASILY carry a handbasket full of groceries home WITHOUT using my saddlebags (because they had my work clothes and stuff in them ) . Gym bag strapped to the seat worked just fine .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I might have to wait till I put in pods. I was thinking of fabbing up an aluminum box with flanges (about 2" deep) that I could mount in a hole cut into the plastic. I have a backpack for books, etc; and a cupholder for my Dunkin Donuts, but I wanted a place to put additional tools (tire plugs, small flashlight, and so on) to supplement the tool pouch. I could've sworn someone on here (or a few) were infamous for storing everything but the kitchen sink in there

I'll have to do some sitting and staring to see if any ideas pop up...If they do, I'll post 'em.

(I have no storage under my p-seat, thats where the strobe units (for brake lights) are mounted.

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

Originally posted by carpenter115
          I could've sworn someone on here (or a few) were infamous for storing everything but the kitchen sink in there
          Not under my seat . I'm notorious for having just about anything one might need in my bags , just in case . Except a plug kit , that is ...... but soon .....

Oh yeah , this was from a couple years ago before I had bags . I can pack ALOT more than that NOW if I have to .

Comment

I'm not one for short replies, but

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

Dang, looks like moving day.
              AAA-Anarchy, Armaggedon, Annihilation

Comment

You'd be surprised what you can pack when you have to . And that load was packed TIGHT . It didn't budge an INCH in 300 miles .
                Anyway ..... underseat storage is just way too hard to come by with our poor pre's , it seems . I just keep some extra plugs , bag of extra bolts (never know ) , and some multitool under there . That's all there's ROOM for . Anything else goes in the bags or the backpack strapped to the seat if needed .

Comment

get a tank bag

Comment

I think that's what I'll wind up doing. I may have a plan for stuffing a few extras under the seat, but not everything I like to carry.

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

Do you think a lexan "shelf" built to cover the battery (L-shaped, covering top & rear of battery, with a ridge along top) would cause any heat problems with the battery? I figure I'm safe, but I thought I would check. That way, I could store stuff on top of it w/o worrying about shorting on the terminals.
                      My only hesitation with the tank bag is security....don't need tools & plugs stolen.

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

hey md.with all that stuff packed how do you get to the spare tire?

Comment

You might want to consider modifying the underseat pan with a plastic welder (read soldering iron) and a seat pan from a 98+ as spare material. Don't know how well that would work, but I would image you could free up some excess room.

On the flip side, I'd just say go get some saddle bags, like MD did...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by rwcreigh
                            hey md.with all that stuff packed how do you get to the spare tire?
                            I KNEW I was forgetting SOMETHING .

Comment

I'd love a set of saddlebags (especially the type Md has), but money is tight...real tight considering the holidays are coming, and I have plenty of plastic in the shed. I've used the "plasti-weld" epoxy with good results, but I might try the soldering iron...I have a small collection of them.

But ultimately, bags are in the future...just dont know when.

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

Working...
                              X