X

Add a cig lighter adapter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a cig lighter adapter?

Anyone know how I can cleanly add a cig light adapter to my bike so that I can hook up my Sirius radio to it so I can listen to some Howard Stern while crusing down the highways to work?

buy one, read instructions, find a decent/convienet place to put it, put in some TLC.

i've done the same on my computer tower (before they came out with actual kits).

be creative.

Comment

The simplest way:
      Go to the auto parts store. Grab a cig lighter socket and two ring terminals. Cut the wires to the cig lighter socket and install the ring terminals on them, then bolt them directly onto your battery and tuck the lighter into the storage area directly behind the battery.

A better way:
      Instead of going to a cigarette lighter socket, go to an accessory socket style connector instead (adapting the radio). This consumes less space, is less likely to have connectivity problems (lighter sockets tend to rattle their contents loose on a motorcycle) and can be used to also connect a battery charger, such as a BatteryTender, when the bike is parked.

The best way, IMHO:
      Get a wiring block (samples), install it to your battery, and install the wiring accessory socket inline with that instead. You get the benefit of a fuse to protect your radio, connectivity for other accessories, and a clean installation. Marine-grade kits are ideal for motorcycle use, but if you have the space atop your battery (like between the battery and the bracket on the 98+ models), consider using that space instead (which will mean one smaller than the marine ones I've seen, thus automotive grade instead). The slickest ones combine a relay to turn on the power only after the bike has started, so surgest involved in running the starter doesn't affect the lifespan of the stuff connected (such as the radio in your case).

Finally, ask yourself this:
      If you have a spill, do you want to be teathered to the bike? Do you have the system set-up in such a way that you're not (either using speakers on the bike, such as in the cowl, or carrying the radio on your person)? If you are teathered to it, do you have some form of break-away that will quickly and easily disconnect, so it can't cause any injuries, like a broken neck?

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I had a fuse and relay already set up for my heated grips so I just tapped a dollar-store cigarette adatper to it.

Problems I faced:

When using my air compressor, the wiring for the cheapo cigarette adapter started burning

Solution: Remove adatper, rip out cheapo wiring and resolder with heavier gauge wiring.

... or you could not buy one from the dollar store :P

Problem2:

Leaving heated grips on while powering up a 1 million candlelight powered spotlight (for fun). I blew the inline fuse ha ha ha

Solution: remember to turn off heated grips before plugging in 1 million candlelight powered spotlight ... or just dont use the stupid spotlight in the garage.

Future project:
        Find a NiMH battery charger that plugs into a cigarette adapter. It'll save me having to hardwire my gps, mp3, and whatever else needs power

Comment

Just do this
          here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
          http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Just added two outlets to my 05 750 kat. bought a weather resistant outlet connected it with an in line wire tap to the turn signals 15 amp fuse. used velcro to attach it in the bin behind the battery under the seat. ran a two line extention from the outlet along the factory wiring. Adhesive taped the two outlets on both sides on the key. I used a flexable suction cup addator with the nokia type button to hold the XM MYFI2. Removed the third eye cover and loosened the windshield and ran the extra antena power and headphone jack extention through there so all the wiring is clean. the head phone jack follows the factory wiring back to the seat and comes up between the seat and tank. The extention is coil type so if I want I can walk around the bike with no problem. The over- the ear (looks like a @) headphones are shaped just right to set in the padding in the helmet at the ears. With the dual outlet I listen to the XM and plug in my phone, radar detector, air compressor ect

Comment

what are yall doing on your bike? who has time for the phone or radio while riding a "motorcycle" need all your senses to watch for the dumbasses.

Comment

No Im not talking on the phone while riding but take a trip from PHX to Benson youll jump so many towers that if and when you need to daill 911 or roadside to get assistence and happen to have just throw the cell in a bag without turning it off I'm glad I can plug it in and have power.

Two weeks ago I found a nice little screw in the road when I stopped to stretch I saw it, plugged it pulled a little compressor from my bag plugged it in aired the tire up. 110+ in the desert I dont want to be working with a hand pump. Air cartidges cost money little compressor keeps on going.

Comment

Ally, what kinda compressor are you using? Pics?
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Slime Auto Compressor 12v they make a smaler one buy its nice to have the light build in.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I went with Powerlet on my bike. I mounted it to the left side of the dash. I use it to run my Gerbing jacket.

For my Roady XT, I hard-wired an adapter so that it is on a dedicated line to my fuse pannel. The adapter I bought from 2 Wheel Inovations which is now closed down.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by AllyKat
                        Slime Auto Compressor 12v they make a smaler one buy its nice to have the light build in.
                        I have somthing similar that I bring with me on my trips. AirMan air compressor.

That's another thing I use (when I need to) the Powerlet for.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

how well does that phone stay on there?

Comment

Always place a fuse inline on any wiring you are attaching directly to the battery. If in a crash or otherwise the accessory can cause a short. This could result in a fire or battery explosion.

The inline fuse should be placed as close as possible to the battery connection.

Comment

I got lucky with the 83 kat.
                              when I was nosing around, I discovered that I have a plug installed.
                              it is in a good spot and fits in.
                              practical indeed.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X