Chain guard keeps vibrating off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain guard keeps vibrating off

Hi all,

I have a stupid question because of a stupid problem. The back tab on my chain guard was broken when I bought it but the front one held it perfectly fine for the season and a half of riding I've done.

I took off the chain guard a few weeks ago to mount new tires then the chain guard vibrated off after a couple of days. Didn't think much of it and just bought another bolt and washer and re-installed it. That bold also vibrated off after 30 mins of riding. Tried that a couple more times to the same effect.

I'm really not sure what else to do with it now. Is there something I can do to keep it from coming off? I'm actually not sure if the chain is hitting the bolt or it's just vibration. The tab doesn't show any signs of wear so I'm inclined to stick to my vibration theory.

Any one have any ideas what my problem could be or what I can do to not eventually end up losing the chain guard or worse?

P.S. The bolt on the broken tab hasn't moved an inch, not that that's helpful in any way

try a locking washer. or drill a hole near the broken tab and zip-tie it down to reduce the movement

Comment

if the threads are still good, use the blue Loctite threadlocker( can not remember the no' off hand) I think it is 270. As long as the threads are good it will work just fine. Also if you wanted to you could fab a braket for the rear part of the chain gaurd.

Also if your chain is hitting the bolt on the guard you might want to think about adjusting/tightening your chain.
      Last edited by dano68; 07-06-2015, 02:58 PM.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses, I was actually trying to figure out what to do with the broken tab, not sure if I have enough material left to drill through it but that's something to look into. I thought about trying out some kind of superglue or epoxy but I feel like that will still break off easily

I actually tightened the chain during the wheel mount. It was a bit loose before that. The threads are still good, I'll swing by the parts store and grab some loctite. As for fabbing a bracket, you mean to connect the left-over stub of the tab to the piece that broke off? It's a pretty tiny piece left on the bottom, most of it went with the guard. I guess I could shave off the leftovers and drill/mount the bracket in place to replace it.

Comment

Blue Loctite threadlocker
          Use red if you never want to worry about it again ...

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

The Blue Loctite no' is 242
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I take my chain guards off. It makes cleaning and lubing a breeze.
              Edit-Oops, boo boo
              If it comes off, that plastic isn't going to do much in my opinion. It will probably kink the chain worse, trapping it inside the rim.
              Last edited by katanarider; 07-07-2015, 02:49 PM.
              My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Thanks everybody, it's survived one trip so far. The loctite is holding and I used one of those mix and apply epoxies on the broken piece. I have my doubts about that epoxy holding for long but we'll see.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                I take my chain guards off. It makes cleaning and lubing a breeze.
                Edit-Oops, boo boo
                If it comes off, that plastic isn't going to do much in my opinion. It will probably kink the chain worse, trapping it inside the rim.
                For me it's more about the grease flying all over than any perceived protection the chain guard might offer.
                Last edited by Tlove; 07-08-2015, 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Max Vador View Post
                  try a locking washer. or drill a hole near the broken tab and zip-tie it down to reduce the movement

Comment

Originally posted by Tlove View Post
                    For me it's more about the grease flying all over than any perceived protection the chain guard might offer.
                    Then you're not lubing correctly .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                    X