X

Full fairing kit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full fairing kit?

I have some pretty roughed up fairings! I thought about painting them myself, but some of the fairings are chipped in important places(bolt hole spots), so I think Id be better off buying a fairing kit. But I cant find any for less than 500$. Does anyone know where I can find a fairing kit for cheap? Or should I just stick to painting the old fairings and working through the mess? Id much rather buy lol

So you want a full set of new fairings, fully painted for less than $500? Good luck with that.

Comment

Ill settle for 400

Comment

take a pick
        Last edited by FJCharlie; 02-02-2014, 06:20 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh wow. You are a life saver. Now I just need to wait for my tax money next week

Comment

From what I've heard over the years these kits (perhaps not these particular ones) in general are of lesser quality than eom and sometimes take a little fiddling to get mounted up. Sounds like it might be your best bet, but just don't expect it to be like new oem
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Don't even know what bike you own, so can't be of much help. I've always gone OEM if I can help it. You get what you pay for, especially when you're considering Chinese fairings.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

those fairing kits are ok if, a) you bought a bike dirt frickin cheap and just want to sell it quick. or b) you have a bike that you have owned for years and just want it looking decent again for cheap, but aren't concerned with the resale value.

other than that, OEM is always preferred.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                  those fairing kits are ok if, a) you bought a bike dirt frickin cheap and just want to sell it quick. or b) you have a bike that you have owned for years and just want it looking decent again for cheap, but aren't concerned with the resale value.

other than that, OEM is always preferred.
                  There's no where you can buy OEM fairings though, right?
                  - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                    There's no where you can buy OEM fairings though, right?
                    you mean new ones? if so, bikebandit or ron ayers probably have them, as well as the dealership, but you are going to pay dearly for them. for a 2005 600cc Kat, a new cowl fairing is like $600 or so, just for one side. It would probably cost you $2500-3000 to replace the whole body, which is just insane.

If your fairings are really that bad, aside from buying a cheap aftermarket body kit your only practical solution is to buy some good used parts.

personally, I would go with good used parts. If you are not in a mad rush and shop around, you could probably get the whole body for $2-300. then if you are willing to do the prep work yourself, you should be able to find a painter who will just shoot it for a $150 or so, plus paint. In the end, it might cost you $5-600, and you will have original oem parts.

FYI....if you do purchase brand new replacement oem parts just to replace a few that are broke, there is a 50/50 chance that they will not match your old ones 100% because of paint fade, so you could very well end up having to repaint your old parts anyway.
                    Last edited by Mojoe; 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

you mean new ones? if so, bikebandit or ron ayers probably have them, as well as the dealership, but you are going to pay dearly for them. for a 2005 600cc Kat, a new cowl fairing is like $600 or so, just for one side. It would probably cost you $2500-3000 to replace the whole body, which is just insane.

If your fairings are really that bad, aside from buying a cheap aftermarket body kit your only practical solution is to buy some good used parts.

personally, I would go with good used parts. If you are not in a mad rush and shop around, you could probably get the whole body for $2-300. then if you are willing to do the prep work yourself, you should be able to find a painter who will just shoot it for a $150 or so, plus paint. In the end, it might cost you $5-600, and you will have original oem parts.

FYI....if you do purchase brand new replacement oem parts just to replace a few that are broke, there is a 50/50 chance that they will not match your old ones 100% because of paint fade, so you could very well end up having to repaint your old parts anyway.
                      Yea I have fairings in decent shaped they just have some scrapes from going down at very slow speeds in driveway. I just plasti dipped over it temporarily, but I really want to get a more permanent solution. I think I just have to read up on prepping it for paint my self, like you said.
                      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                        Yea I have fairings in decent shaped they just have some scrapes from going down at very slow speeds in driveway. I just plasti dipped over it temporarily, but I really want to get a more permanent solution. I think I just have to read up on prepping it for paint my self, like you said.
                        fixing your own is ideal both financially, and for keeping a higher value on your bike. Unless I am getting it dirt cheap, I am likely to walk away from any bike with a cheap aftermarket body kit, even if it is brand new or like new. On the other hand, I am likely to pay more for a bike with an oem body that needs work.

bottom line...even a repaired set of oem are usually worth more than even a new aftermarket kit.

Comment

I would go with fixing your OEM ones that you have,a little body work
                          some primer and paint ( rattle can, spray gun ) and clear.You might be able to fix everything for $ 100 bucks or less and have fun doing it the same time.
                          Good luck

Comment

Unless I am getting it dirt cheap, I am likely to walk away from any bike with a cheap aftermarket body kit, even if it is brand new or like new. On the other hand, I am likely to pay more for a bike with an oem body that needs work.
                            +1
                            Chinese fairings seem to not really fit correctly. You may be able to get them bolted up, but you'll be putting a lot of strain on those plastics to make it happen. If you are a DIY kind of guy...repairing a fairing isn't hard. It can be a time sink, but it's not complicated. After it's repaired, you can most likely get it painted cheaper than buying an after market set. And that's paying someone else to do it. Do the prep and paint yourself, and as others have mentioned...you're looking at ~$100.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

personally, I have only ever come across one bike that had aftermarket fairings. even then, it wasn't the whole body, just two side covers. one of them was cracked and I was going to fix it but I could not get anything to really stick to it. I couldn't even rough up the surface of it without it sort of melting and clogging up my grinding disc. the material reminded me more of a thick soda bottle plastic than anything else.

when it comes right down to it, that is really my only major beef with aftermarket fairings....they crack much easier than oem, but are much much harder to repair. You basically have no choice but to weld them.
                              Last edited by Mojoe; 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X