Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Making a fiberglass fairing over the original??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
    I have no idea. I don't use liquid for making shapes, I use sheet (12x24 is all of $7 retail, and I'm pretty sure we paid a bit less than that at the shop). I see no reason why it wouldn't work, I've just never done it that way. I guess as long as you don't make the liquid too thin it should be fine.
    Ok, well i am gonna give that route a go before i try the fiberglass, seems easier and prolly will be cheaper and wont have to worry bout it separating. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by plexlove View Post
      Ok cool, i thought it was just an adhesive....but still it would probably be cheaper to make a larger volume of it making it myself right?

It would cost you more in materials to make the same amount of abs cement as you pay for. It's cheaper/easier to buy it.

I would make the majority of the parts and shapes with solid abs heated and formed to shape. Use the Cement to glue the parts together (this will make it one solid piece). sand into final shape. Use a flexible body filler to smooth it out, and paint.

krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

"even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
        2004 marauder 800

Comment

Man, I hate fiberglass. Whole fairing were made of it in the 80's and it was difficult as he11 to repair. One layer may not be enough. It's going to be flexing all over the place, depending upon the size of the crack. Depends upon whether you plan to paint it, I guess.
          =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
          X