Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Has anybody tried "PLASTEX" for fairing repair?...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody tried "PLASTEX" for fairing repair?...

This stuff seems too good to be true. On their website they have some videos of repairs. You sand the area, pour in this powder, squirt this liquid over the powder and presto! instant plastic weld. Anyone have experience with this stuff???
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

looks pretty interesting, you should buy the $10 kit and be the KR guinea pig! seriously, if you use it, post a review for the rest of us.

Comment

It does seem too good to be true, on the other hand, it does look legit, I don't have any cracks in my fairings or anything, but if I did, i'd definetely try it out. Seems like it could be a cheap alternative.
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. I don't have any cracks (knock on wood) or I would try it. Post a link please.

Comment

Link it and I'll try it!

Comment

Alright , let me know how it works out for you !
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hhmm, for 10.00 its worth it just to try it..

Comment

I've used it in the past for other types of custom work (model building, minor appliance repairs) with good results. Looks like the price has sank off since I used it as well... you can find it substancially more expensively through some hobby shops (although why you'd want to pay more, I don't know).

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPeot
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

kinda reminds of that stuff that was big back in the 80's.. new leather or something that you could repair leather coats, chairs, cushions anything,..u just wipe it on and buff it w/ some cloth and presto the hole is gone ?

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                    kinda reminds of that stuff that was big back in the 80's.. new leather or something that you could repair leather coats, chairs, cushions anything,..u just wipe it on and buff it w/ some cloth and presto the hole is gone ?
                    Oddly enough, you can still find that stuff at Walmart (complete with the "As seen on TV!" logo)...

Something just make me chuckle irrationally...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                      You joke, but that stuff does a decent job. The repair is not absolutely transparent, but for $20 I would say that it was worth it.

Comment

plastic repair

Try this, get yourself some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and cut some PVC pipe into very small chunks. Plae the PVC into a GLASS bowl. Then pour the MEK (not too much). Let sit until it's a thick substance and then you can fix holes, cracks etc. It will be sandable and after painted, you would never know. A friend of mine fixed his Gixxer like this and It looked like a brand new cowling.
                        Scott

Comment

Re: plastic repair

Originally posted by viclava
                          Try this, get yourself some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and cut some PVC pipe into very small chunks. Plae the PVC into a GLASS bowl. Then pour the MEK (not too much). Let sit until it's a thick substance and then you can fix holes, cracks etc. It will be sandable and after painted, you would never know. A friend of mine fixed his Gixxer like this and It looked like a brand new cowling.
                          Hey dude that sounds awesome so where in the h311 do i get MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) knowing my past experiences i might need this
                          "Our Father's Were The Model Of God If Our Father's Failed What Does That Tell Us About God".....Tyler Durden

Comment

PLastic repair

Dude,
                            Just go to any paint store or Wal Mart and they should have it. It's not more than $3 or $4 bucks. The PVC from your local Home Depot is about $3 bucks for 5+ feet. You do the math. It's a lot cheaper. The trick is to experiment and get the mixture just right. Obviously you don't want it like so thin it's like creme of sum yung gy. Make sure you do it in a location that will allow the MEK fumes to vent. That stuff is not good for you to breathe. It kills brain cells and is known to cause brain cancer in lab rats and lab humans.

Anyway, give it a try, it does work.
                            Scott

Comment

sweet thanks man don't mean to be a pain just trying to soak up the knowledge to pass on to someone else...
                              "Our Father's Were The Model Of God If Our Father's Failed What Does That Tell Us About God".....Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                              X