X

Gel grips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gel grips

Every time I get on my bike my hands are killing me within 5 minutes. I try to stay as loose and relaxed as possible and do my best not to put all of my body weight on my hands while riding. I do wear Joe Rocket gloves every time I get on it but that helps very little. Im thinking of trying these Pro Grip gel grips out to see if they help.

Im also interested in new bar ends but not sure if I need to weighted ends or not, or if there is really a difference. Some claim to reduce vibration while others make no claims at all. Any thoughts?
    If it aint broke fix it till it is

Weighted bar ends do soak up some of the vibration. The heavier the bar end the better. You can go with gel grips, too or try a new set of OEM grips. They're surprisingly good when they're not old and dried out.

The other thing you can do is take some of your weight off your hands. Make sure you're not slouching and hold yourself up by squeezing the tank with your knees. It works.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Putting lead shot in the bars themselves also helps to absorb vibration.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I put Progrip gels on my B12 when I installed heaters
          I like them

+1 on knees in , hard to beleive but it helps
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Alot of engine vibratins can be removed by cleaning/tuning the carbs. Lean fuel mix = vibrations.

I used Cherrif's Stainless bars and LED bar ends... greatly reduced any vibs at the bars.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I am another fan of the OEM grips...
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Great advise. I took it out for a 10 mile ride a little while ago just to see how much of a difference keeping my knees in would make, and it helped a lot. It may take a little getting used to but Im sure it will eventually become habit. I dont really have TOO much of a vibration problem but there is some. No more than any other bike Ive had. The carbs as well as the rest of the bike seems to be in great condition and working order. I'll look into factory grips and weighted bar ends although Im not sure yet which way I'll go with the grips. Those red Pro Grips would look great.

Comment

I like my gel pro-grips, but after the good things I've heard (when they are new) I will probably be trying a set of oems
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                    Putting lead shot in the bars themselves also helps to absorb vibration.
                    What size shot?

Comment

I haven't done that mod personally, but I believe there have been write ups. If you cant find them, I believe cheriff or kreylyn are knowledgeable on the subject.
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Also check the straightness of the bars. I swore mine were straight until i took them off once and rolled them across the floor..

Oh and i don't have experience with lead shot in the bars. I have stainless bars instead. Lead shot filled would probably be heavier... And be sure to mix it with caulk or silicone of some kind to keep the rattling down.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                          Also check the straightness of the bars. I swore mine were straight until i took them off once and rolled them across the floor..

Oh and i don't have experience with lead shot in the bars. I have stainless bars instead. Lead shot filled would probably be heavier... And be sure to mix it with caulk or silicone of some kind to keep the rattling down.
                          The silicone method sounds like a winner. thanks Cheriff
                          "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                          1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                          2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                            i swear by my CrampBuster.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                            X