help on painting bike the flat black color

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on painting bike the flat black color

hey i was looking to get a clean looking flat black color on my bike

The problem with flat black is keeping it clean once it gets dirty. Flat top-paints are by definition extreme-matt, a finish that is accomplished normally by the addition of chalk, carbon or other very fine particles to help keep the surface irregular (and thus not shiney). In the military, we'd use pressure cleaners to clean flat painted vehicles -- but pressure cleaners aren't really ideal for use on motorcycles because of the pressure (driving water under pressure into electrical connectors, etc).

Most people accomplish the flat finish by simply using rattle cans that have a flat primer paint. The upside to this is that it's easy to refinish the paint at a later date (sand a little, rinse, paint some more on with the same brand/type) -- the bad news is that primer grabs well because it's primer, so it will want to grab dirt and other contaminants far better than a smooth clear finish would. There is such a thing as flat topcoat automotive grade paints, but I have no clue where to source them (a quick search through google or a visit to your local automotive paint supplier might yield you an answer).

As always, pre-paint prep is the secret to great results.

You may want to search the KR forums for the painting tips thread (it's stickied at the top of the Bodyshop forum), and you may also want to read this detailed FAQ on painting: Automotive Painting FAQ

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well.....to achieve a true flat that has sold on Hondas Hornet, or CB599/919s....check out www.color-rite.com for 2004/5 models.

They had a color called asphalt and it was a true flat/eggshell topcoat clear.

You can also just buy the topcoat and make whatever the true undercoat is appear to be flat...but the topcoat will mask it.

Just an idea.
      My sig is boring.

Comment

Here is the link to the Asphalt color......it seems to have come on the 599 modle, not the 919.

You can buy the topcoat seperately and turn whatever you want into an eggshell look.

My sig is boring.

Comment

i want the color of Waltari's bike if you have seen that cat memebers bike!!

Comment

UFO8MyCow had a lead on a flat black color that hot rod builders use, I think John Deere made the paint or something, and it was extremely durable and cheap.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Bedliner . Cheap/easy way to do it ! But I DO like the asphalt/raven/whathaveyou color of some of the new bikes .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Couldn't you just order paint using the stock number from the honda 599 or 919? I'm sure you could find the paint code somewhere, or ask a honda dealer. Then you could go to any automotive paint place and get it, I would think.
                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

John Deere Blitz Black is the actual name, FYI. This is easy to apply and tough as nails. It is also cheap. As stated above, this is the preferred hot rod paint for flat black cars.
                  I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by paperairplane
                    John Deere Blitz Black is the actual name, FYI. This is easy to apply and tough as nails. It is also cheap. As stated above, this is the preferred hot rod paint for flat black cars.
                    I can find that they sell that color in rattle can, I'm just not sure where? Tractor supply stores?
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The best thing that I have found is John Deer Blitz black. I found out about it on a hot rod forum. You can only buy it by the gallon but like lou said it is cheap, to get all the stuff you need including the reducer and hardener it comes to aboiut $70.

Or you can go with hot hues hot rod black made by dupont for about $70 per pint pluss reducer $20-$30 and catalist another $20 and all of that is only for a pint and you will prolly need two pints.
                      PM me for Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning, pilot screw o-rings and washers and mercury refills

Harley Davidson
                      The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the biproduct of horsepower

Comment

this may be a stupid question, but what happens if you use flat black (dupli color makes a flat black in a rattle can for use on trim and such things) anyways what happens if you put maybe two layers of clear coat on?

btw: http://www.autobarn.net/duptp70.html is the link to the duplicolor paint

Comment

Working...
                        X