X

paint help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint help

If i am going to paint my bike this winter, do i need to take all of the old paint off or can i sand it until it becomes smooth enough to prime and paint?

p.s. i am painting it with a spray can.

You'll find both opinions on KR. Some believe you should remove ALL of the old paint and those, like myself, that believe that if your old paint is in good shape, you can just 'scuff-sand' it so the new paint/primer will adhere.
    Just take your time and try and use the same brand of paint/primer/clearcoat. I've painted three bikes and will be starting a 4th this summer, and haven't had to remove the old paint on any of them.

It also depends on the color your going to. If you have a black bike and you're wanting to go to yellow or white, i'd take all of the old paint off so that it won't give your new light colored paint a darker shade.

Hope this helps!!!!!
    You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

Thanks for the help, i am painting it the same color i just want it a little newer looking and i am going to add a graphic, an advice on paint if it going to be black over black and also adding the graphic

thanks

Comment

You can check out the link in my WWW. link. It is a write up on when I did my bike and may help.....
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

wow

wow is your red bike all spary can it looks soo nice what was the color before it? please teach me the ways lol it looks great

Comment

You'll find alot of bikes on KR were done w/ simply spray can application. If you do it right, it can turn out awesome !

Comment

Mine was NOT rattle can, but with some patience you CAN get those results so long as you have a good nozzle such as what Dupli Color puts on thier cans. Mine was done with profesional quality spray gun equipment.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Just a thought:

You may also want to look at getting an airbrush compressor and set-up, which is fairly cheap through harborfreight (about $70 will get you the compressor, air brush kit, hoses, etc; add $10 for another set of hose/container/sprayer to have a separate one for clear coats), or through eBay... It'll let you get better than typical rattle-can finish (should net you as good a results as at least the best rattle can app), allows you to use the cheaper liquid paints (because the cost of the rattle can doesn't have to be built in each time), and is the cheap-good route to go if you are going to use color-matched paints (like ColorRite's OEM Suzuki paints).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If anyone can get me ANY paint code from ANY manufacturer for the 1993 Katana 600 RED, I'll paypal them $10...seriously.

Comment

Can you just take a part and scan it ? Like the oil door or something ?
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I could, but I was hoping for some long lost rattle can code.... I don't have a compressor or gun (but my cowl needs a matching coat)

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                        If anyone can get me ANY paint code from ANY manufacturer for the 1993 Katana 600 RED, I'll paypal them $10...seriously.
                        Call
                        ColorRite East Coast sales office 800-358-1882
                        If that doesn't cut it, call Suzuki USA at 714-572-1490 (8:30AM-5PM Pacific) and ask them for the color code to match your VIN.
                        If that still doesn't get you an answer, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          Joe, the info I have left here from the batch of factory solo cowls I had suggests that a 1993 Kat in red was Suzuki code 1MW - Medium Candy Red.
                          With that number you should be able to have color-rite mix it if they do not currently have it available. Being that old they won't have it listed on their site so you are gonna have to call them but they will have the formula and should be able to mix it for you.

Oh and IF that is the info you were looking for, DON'T send me the $10. Stop by Walmart or anywhere else where the Salvation Army is ringing bells and drop it in the bucket would you
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Anyone know about how much paint a bike would take if using a compressor and not rattle can?
                            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                            -Terence

Comment

paint info

I would say a little over a pint of color with a 1:1 ratio which will give you a little over a quart sprayable.
                              now this only applies if your painting a dark color with good hiding and can cover with two coats or so.
                              if you're painting like a cherry red or somthing you'll need to do a value shade 1 or 2 which is like a white, red hides well over white , you can use color-rite paint over dupont automotive value shade. as far as clear goes
                              a quart should do it and then some, I wouldn't do any more than two coats, and make sure to use a flex add. on plastic parts.
                              I'm a painter in a body shop, with a deegree in automotive collison. so feel free to ask me any paint related questions

Comment

Working...
                              X