X

Hey BraadaJim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey BraadaJim

Hey man, I was wondering if you had ever considered making some filler panels for us streetfighter guys that cover the space between the gas tank indention and the frame. I had cut some out of my old fairings and they looked okay, but they needed to have a piece on the bottom to close of the open area or they needed to fit tighter to the frame to eliminate the gap between the fairing and the frame. if it is not possible to make these from plastic or fiberglass, I will probably have some one fill in the tank with sheet metal. Also, if anyone knows a tank that will fit the bike that doesn't have the indentions on the tank for the farings to mount to, let me know.
    Attached Files

That wouldnt interfere w/ pulling off the tank for maint or repairs would it ?

Comment

Wouldn't it be just as easy to pick up some cheap old rashed up fairings off EBay and make them your self??

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
        Wouldn't it be just as easy to pick up some cheap old rashed up fairings off EBay and make them your self??

That's my suggestion. Get a plastic welder, high watt soldering pen or wood scribing kit and some junk fairings and play around. What you describe shouldn't be all that hard to do.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Re: Hey BraadaJim

Originally posted by DRGN
          Also, if anyone knows a tank that will fit the bike that doesn't have the indentions on the tank for the farings to mount to, let me know.
          A Bandit tank could be worth a try... I've heard they should be a reasonable fit.
          - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Re: Hey BraadaJim

Originally posted by Yellow
            Also, if anyone knows a tank that will fit the bike that doesn't have the indentions on the tank for the farings to mount to, let me know.
            A Bandit tank could be worth a try... I've heard they should be a reasonable fit.
            Not the Bandit 1200... I got one for sale now

Actually fillers made from the fairings isn't that easy..
            Been there tried that..
            I'm thinking of forming some from ABS (or similar)
            and using velcro..
            But I'm not giving up on a new tank..

Comment

You might also want to visit eBay-UK (or any of the other European countries) to see if you can find the gas tank & side panels from a GSX750 Inazuma 1998 (not GSXR, not GSXF, not GSF, but just straight GSX -- '98 may have been the only model year)... Ought to fit

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If/when you do it..post up some pics and a nice writeup.. might be something others are interested in doing too.

Comment

I actually have cut some out of my old fairings. I used these because they match the lines of the tank. the only problem with that is that the fairing flares out quite a bit, especially towards the front. If they are made from the old fairings, a bottom piece would need to be added to close the gap between the fairing and the tank/frame. I have mocked this up with poster board before. it looks pretty good. if you leave the front open, it looks like you got some ram air. My problem continuing with this route is: A. I havn't been able to find any abs to work with(I live in podunk, USA) and B. the abs I did try to weld looked like crap. I couldn't get it to join properly. The main reason I posted was to see if you guys had any better ideas. when i first started, this was the best idea I had. I still think it is a good one, I'll just have to get better at plastic welding and find some abs. Do you guys have any resources or advice on plastic welding? Also on actually forming abs(I'm assuming you use a heat gun)?

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    GSX750 Inazuma 1998. Ought to fit
                    Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Nope.. checked that out..
                    Though I might try and find air box covers...
                    The frame is a spine type so the perimeter rails of the Kat will foul the tank.

Comment

My problem continuing with this route is: A. I havn't been able to find any abs to work with(I live in podunk, USA) and B. the abs I did try to weld looked like crap. I couldn't get it to join properly.
                      You can start with cheap practice pieces -- abs pipe from the hardware store. It's thicker than fairings, but it will give you something cheap to tinker with. You can find good top-snuff plastic welders at Eastwoodautomotive.com (you'll also find abs filler stickers there) and cheap versions at harborfreight.com.

Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet[/quote]

Too bad too it's a nice tank design...
                        That is a lot like the Zepher, I loved that bike..
                        Rare as hens teeth when I was looking in the mid 90's..
                        That 1100 was sweet...
                        Yammy had one too a 12?

Comment

Working...
                        X