X

Any Gas tank sealer tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Gas tank sealer tips?

Well, I wasn't sure where to put this but here seemed to be the best spot. Anyhow, I've got an 83 GS650G cruiser I'm working on (currently trying to mount tire but taking a break to tool around the interwebs) and have a leak along a seam in the gas tank which I sealed about a year ago or so. I figured while i was at it, I'd seal the kat's tank too. I went over some posts and think I'm leaning toward POR-15's tank kit w the stripper for the 83 and probably their standard kit for the Kat (per Krey's recommendation in a post somewhere on here).

Last time I'm not sure where i ran into probs but am asking for some tips and tricks to do it better. IE better way to dry the tanks etc. What have you all done in the past?

Use a couple of layers of masking tape (paper tape) ... the green "paint" tape stuff works best, the tan cheap stuff works fine, all of it works 10X better than duct tape (it releases as soon as it's wet).

For really heavy rust sitautions, I use an electrolysis process first to clean/remove the rust. Then do all steps of the por-15 to properly prep the metal for the coating. I find this doesn't add any time to the process, but does work ALOT better.

Prior to the final coating you need to dry the tank. I find that a cup of acetone or denatured alcohol sloshed around well will absorb the water. Drain and then use a blow dryer to force warm air through.... and you will have a fully dry tank in under 5 mins and very little flash rust.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A good idea I heard was to use swing set chain as a scrubber during the cleaning.. It has those sharp ends but unlike screws or other "bits" you don't "lose" any, just fish the whole chain out..

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Use a couple of layers of masking tape (paper tape) ... the green "paint" tape stuff works best, the tan cheap stuff works fine, all of it works 10X better than duct tape (it releases as soon as it's wet).

For really heavy rust sitautions, I use an electrolysis process first to clean/remove the rust. Then do all steps of the por-15 to properly prep the metal for the coating. I find this doesn't add any time to the process, but does work ALOT better.

Prior to the final coating you need to dry the tank. I find that a cup of acetone or denatured alcohol sloshed around well will absorb the water. Drain and then use a blow dryer to force warm air through.... and you will have a fully dry tank in under 5 mins and very little flash rust.

Krey
        +1, for the majority of the larger rust areas I used a chemical solution from work then a high pressure bath inside the tank.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Thanks fellas! Definitely helpful! I'll keep ya posted.

Comment

Working...
          X