X

Post final clear coat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post final clear coat?

Ok I've tried several different ways to make me fairings shine after spray painting them after my clear coat. I tried Rubbering compond, then waxing. Just waxing. And 2000 grit wet sanding post clear coat. I think just waxing gives the best results. What do y'all do? What steps do ya'll use? I'm just trying to see if there's a better way, or an better order.
    - Joe

Anybody?? Have the people here have spray painted their bikes?
    - Joe

Comment

I will be starting mine this weekend. Wish me good luck.
      Ride like there no tommorow.

Comment

I just went ahead and waxed mine when i got done putting on the clearcoat,It seemed to come out realy good.
        97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Clear, let it cure for a week and then wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit until the entire surface is dull and there are no dimples. Follow with polishing compounds on a rotary buffer, wait a month and wax.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
            Clear, let it cure for a week and then wet sand it with 1500-2000 grit until the entire surface is dull and there are no dimples. Follow with polishing compounds on a rotary buffer, wait a month and wax.
            Have any pic's of your work?
            - Joe

Comment

You need the paint to cure fully (stop off-gasing VOC's). A paint booth with lights/heaters accelerates this process but it still takes weeks or months for the paint to full offgas and harden up all the way. Waxing seals the surface so the paint can't offgas, and you end up with soft paint that scuffs off much easier than it should (paint folding is a classic example of paint that never offgassed properly).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkcoast
                This is probably the best example of the shine and reflection.

......although it shows up pretty good in this shot too.
                Attached Files
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Jenkcoast
                  Hey , I'd just take his word for it !
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That's why he never paints his cowls... Just kidding looks great!
                    - Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X