Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Has anyone polished out the foot pegs on their katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone polished out the foot pegs on their katana?

I was just wondering if anyone has polished out the footpegs on their kats,Can this be done or is it not a good idea because their's not enough metal?
    97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Yup! Hard part is trying to get all the rubber out to get a good polish.

PAUL
    93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Love that hugger......^
      Flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen.

Comment

Yeah, that rubber really is a biatch to get off of there. I ended up slopping aircraft stripper on it to soften up the rubber. Came off pretty easy after that and they do polish up nice.
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

Yep, did that and post a thread about it not to long ago. I got the extra passenger pegs from HS2020. work great but if you are riding for long periods of time I have noticed more vibration out of them. I wouldn't go back though, the look is awesome and not to mention very cheap mod, instead of buying new aftermarket race pegs.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

So once you take the rubber off i guess there's no way to put it back on right?And seqx34,Your bike looks awesome!
            97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Originally posted by katana_j
              So once you take the rubber off i guess there's no way to put it back on right?And seqx34,Your bike looks awesome!
              Thanks.

Tips on how you take the rubbers out.

1. Try to get as much rubber as you can using a cutter/exacto knife to slice them (thinner is better)
              2. Soak them overnight on some Laquer Thinner (laquer should make those rubbers a little brittle and easier to take out)
              3. Use Wire Brush attached to a drill and get to them rubbers (you'll still have some tiny pieces left after)
              4. Steel Brush and Prophane Torch.
              -- use the torch to melt whatever rubber you have left (burn it for only about 15 secs.) and use the steel brush to brush the rubbers off. repeat as needed. give it about a couple of mins. to cool down between brushing. PEGS ARE MADE OF ALUMINUM, so too much heat will melt/bend those pegs (let it cool down a bit)

When thats done, grab some sandpaper (your choice of grit #) i used 600 and 800 to get them smooth for polishing. Polish away!

***BTW, incase you do melt your pegs, just make sure you have something to catch the melted aluminum (a can will work). Use the torch to melt them into liquid and pour them into your handle bars to take care of any vibration issues you may have! I know somebody will say that they are not heavy enough............So go ahead and melt your Passenger Pegs too, if they are still light, melt one of your buddys pegs (J/k if he beats the crap out of you, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE!)
              PAUL
              93 GSXF6 PIX.

"Opinions are like A$$holes, Everybody has one"

Comment

Um , I thought that rubber stuff just unscrewed from the bottom . I miss something ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  Um , I thought that rubber stuff just unscrewed from the bottom . I miss something ?
                  OEM 98+ they're moulded in place and aren't a separate item. Don't know about the pre-98's, but I would expect the OEM pegs to be the same basic design.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

no... at least on 1993 750 the peg rubbers are attached via two screws through a plate and the peg, into the bottom of the rubber... i polished my pegs (which looks nice) but the bottom plate (for lack of a better term) is steel, and obviously wont polish like aluminum...
                    a

gather 'round, children

Comment

If you can get them off in one piece

You can glue them back on!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                        Front pegs the rubber is screwed on, rear pegs it is glued on. both pre and post 98
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Unless Jim, you put another set of rears on the front like I did. I reccomend using a dremel to cut some texture to those pegs for wet footing.
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          Who knows what is next?

Comment

Getting them anodized after you get that rubber off is pretty sweet too. Especially like a gold or blue color to match your bike.

Comment

Yes, definitely blue!!
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                              X