X

tank body filler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tank body filler

I am running a streetfighter and trying to smooth out the look of the gas tank. Particularly the bottom half of the tank where it would usually meet the fairings.
    I've seen this on a few forum brother's bikes and I think it really cleans up the look of the tank.
    From my searching on here it would seem my best option would be some type of body filler (ie. bondo). I also read a post about possibly using lead for the main filler, then body filler over that.
    Got most of the winter to decide how I will do it, but any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Cintidude04
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

bump?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

cool, my uncle also brought up the sheet metal idea as well. probably go that route
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

You could go the route of using a filler called All Metal from USC. It is an actual metal based filler and can be applied thick...you could also use DuraGlass from them as well. Nothing will substitute using a piece of sheetmetal for strength and durability, but I've seen it done by applying it with a gradual taper(you know, level at the edge and thinning out as you move down the tank) and last a long time.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
          Another option would be to fill it with expandable foam, smooth it with a very light coat of filler, and then do a fiberglass shell/wrap over it and the tank. Probably not the lightest option, but I think you'd get the desired effect.
          My tank is a 'glass wrap job. I did it exactly the same way you do free-form fiberglass speaker boxes: stretch fleece over the form, and then apply polyester resin with a paintbrush until it's completely saturated. It definitely made the tank a lot heavier, though.

It also looks different depending on which method you use. If you want the tank to go straight down from the ridge, you'll need to use sheet metal or body filler; using the fleece method gives it a contour on the lower part.

I can't find any earlier "in progress" pictures, but this should give you an idea.....

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

FOAM AND Glass it
            dont use heavy fillers or weld it unless you plan on sealing the tank afterwords.
            Use momo foam and fill up the areas you want built up, then trim it and fiberglass over it with fiberglass cloth or fleece.
            make sure not to leave the void hollow under there or it will resonate and can cause vibrations that can crack the flillers and paint as well as moisture that can cause it to rust
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
            X