X

What gives kats its extra weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gives kats its extra weight?

I am curious as to what gives kats its extra 100 or so LBs on other sportbikes. Is it its engine or its frame material ?

Yup , it seems to be .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Steel - check

Comment

My fat a$$ on the seat

Comment

Yeah , your fat a$$ on my seat makes the bike feel heavier , too . Handles funny as well . I kinda wish you'd stop trying to fondle my .....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I thought it was the rear brake and the center stand? I never use my rear brake so I took it off. I was told that you would just wipe out if you used it anyway. I also took off my center stand. I never change my oil or anything, so why do I even need it?

Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Actually, it's a whole bunch of differences that all add up.

Use of heavier metals through-out the engine (for example, current GSXR's use titanium valve springs, Kats use steel). Steel's good for cheap longevity, reliability, bad for RPM ceilings and total weight. Repeat in about 150 different engine components from alternator to crank.
              Steel box frame with lower-engine cradle (vs. to aluminum spar-perimeter frame).
              Longer wheelbase (that extra length means extra lbs as frame & fairings)
              Thicker & bigger fairings (the ABS in Kat fairings is about 1.5 times as thick as that used in current GSXR's).
              Bigger headlight assemblies.
              Bigger/thicker seat.
              The list goes on and on...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

theres one main thing... PRICE!!

one secondary thing... SPORTS TOURER!

cheers.joe.

Comment

Cat Chow
                  The little boat drifted gently across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    Actually, it's a whole bunch of differences that all add up.

Use of heavier metals through-out the engine (for example, current GSXR's use titanium valve springs, Kats use steel). Steel's good for cheap longevity, reliability, bad for RPM ceilings and total weight. Repeat in about 150 different engine components from alternator to crank.
                    Steel box frame with lower-engine cradle (vs. to aluminum spar-perimeter frame).
                    Longer wheelbase (that extra length means extra lbs as frame & fairings)
                    Thicker & bigger fairings (the ABS in Kat fairings is about 1.5 times as thick as that used in current GSXR's).
                    Bigger headlight assemblies.
                    Bigger/thicker seat.
                    The list goes on and on...

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Ok what's the entire list....
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Working...
                    X