X

my rattlecan job..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
    did u wetsand before the clear coat? that should make it shine. The more layers of clear coat you put on it the more it should shine. Looks great
    For the record, you don't wetsand the base before applying clear unless you are asking for trouble.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      For the record, you don't wetsand the base before applying clear unless you are asking for trouble.
      ehh i made this mistake but hopefully this spray lasts me through this riding season. i'm gonna try to pick up an air compressor and a decent paint gun this summer/fall so i can do it the "right" way
      Originally posted by Slofuze:
      Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

I just rattle caned my bike a few weeks ago i used rustoleum primer and rustoleum gloss black and used dupli color clear and only cleared the tank with four coats ( never cleared my plastics)and the tank isnt mirror finish but still shiny and someone filled my bike up and spilled gas all over it looked like they were washing it with it and cleaned right off

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
          Hmmmm......... I thought Blue gave you the most HP/Torque gain? must have got some bad info.

BTW The yellow looks good, could maybe use some graphics or something.
          Richard
          No your right Blue does give you the most HP/torque gain!!!

Btw looks great for rattle can!
          Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog the scenery never changes. - Lewis Grizzard

Comment

As for your question, the paint will probably be soft for a while. After a month or so it will be harder to leave a fingernail print in it, and after the summer is done it should be hard. I'd give it a couple of months, and then wetsand and polish it, and it should really shine up.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
              As for your question, the paint will probably be soft for a while. After a month or so it will be harder to leave a fingernail print in it, and after the summer is done it should be hard. I'd give it a couple of months, and then wetsand and polish it, and it should really shine up.
              thanks man. just realized nobody said a word about that until your post lol
              Some people simply talk sh*t because they don't know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, they reproduce.....and why we have sh*t all around us.

Comment

hey we're twins... I lost my oil fill panel too!! It must have gotten loose and flew off on the freeway

Comment

My experience with rattle can paint is it will fade quickly. I think it looks decent but it probably will end up faded white/yellow in a short period. Just as a precaution you should try parking it in the shade as much as possible.
                  I myself would have taken the bike to "Maaco". They advertise cheap paint jobs for cars at around $200 all day. For a bike I would expect it to be much cheaper, last longer and probably look alittle shinnier.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                    My experience with rattle can paint is it will fade quickly. I think it looks decent but it probably will end up faded white/yellow in a short period. Just as a precaution you should try parking it in the shade as much as possible.
                    I myself would have taken the bike to "Maaco". They advertise cheap paint jobs for cars at around $200 all day. For a bike I would expect it to be much cheaper, last longer and probably look alittle shinnier.
                    The $199 paint job at Maaco is painting your car with enamel (just like what you're spraying from rattle cans). They can do base/clear but it costs more... and I'm not sure that they do much in the way of spraying flexible plastic panels, so I personally wouldn't be inclined to take it to them. I'd be far more inclined to buy a small compressor, an HVLP touch up gun, and build a booth so I can paint it myself correctly. Personal opinion, of course.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by backinblack1972 View Post
                      hey we're twins... I lost my oil fill panel too!! It must have gotten loose and flew off on the freeway

I have it around the house here somewhere..I took the bike apart in November and didn't put it back together til like march and had to move my "pile of parts" around the house a couple different times lol.

Comment

I just did my rattle can job earlier this season. As long as you are patient and do your prep fine, there is no reason why a rattle can job can't come out as good as a proffesional. Steve was right when he said do not sand between base and clear coats. There is a sticky in the bodyshop section that explains why. But also, you just need to let the paint cure. I dont know about a couple months, but most paint manufacturers recommend a week or two depending on the product. Then you can wet sand and polish. I'd use 2000 grit and 3m polishing compound. I didn't even wet sand mine, and it looks like glass. As far as the bugs and hair in your paint, pic up a couple tac cloths next time and use them between each coat, that will take out any unwanted particulate in your paint before the next coat.

One more piece of advice would be to shoot within 10-20 minutes of each coat. This way the previous coat is still tacky enough for a good bond. But again, each product is slightly different.

Long story short, take time with your prep work, read read read the instructions on ALL of your paint products, dont mix enamel and lacquer, and give your paint the proper time to cure
                        Build Thread

'01 Katana 600
                        '97 Intruder 1400

Comment

that color looks good, makes me want to eat italian lemon ice cream
                          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                          X