X

I F'd Up My Tank... Any Advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[/quote]
    Everyone: Should I be concerned about rust where the paint got scratched? If so will clear fingernail polish take care of it for now?[/quote]

If the scratch is right through to bare metal it will rust.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
      Mojoe: Your idea is exactly what this guy said he would do for me. I'm not sure that I trust myself to do it on my own. I have no experience with painting/bondo work.

Everyone: Should I be concerned about rust where the paint got scratched? If so will clear fingernail polish take care of it for now?
      that is because that is about the only way to properly do it and just about any collision guy with experience would do it the same way.

As for the scratch, I would get a color touch-up paint that comes with a brush...like fingernail polish, and do it wuth that. It will look less obvious than a clear coating over a scratch.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Who makes a good touch up paint that matches factory suzuki paint?
        I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

You know, nobody gave other bits of advice I would have expected... which is scour eBay and watch for a black tank to come up. During the meantime, ride it the way it is pending the replacement tank...

Mojoe's method is the best method (the old-school 'right way' method), but it's labor intensive and requires some skill & quite a bit of tooling.

I've seen one hop-head in a fit of rage take a tire iron from his compact car (the type with a 90 degree bend) and use it to dent out his Yamaha SECA tank from the inside -- results were bad, in large part because he's part gorilla (he pushed some parts out further than they had been before the initial dent), but it was enough that after tapping down the high-spots again, it could be bondo'd up without too much build-up and painted (he didn't bother -- it was an '85 model year bike and the total value in '04 was about $600 or less). But I wouldn't recommend it as a fix method.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

you can fill it with bondo, get a tank from ebay, or contact special K ( the part guro) lol
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              You know, nobody gave other bits of advice I would have expected... which is scour eBay and watch for a black tank to come up. During the meantime, ride it the way it is pending the replacement tank...

Mojoe's method is the best method (the old-school 'right way' method), but it's labor intensive and requires some skill & quite a bit of tooling.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              CP is right....picking up another tank is the best option. It is just that everyone was chiming in with the best method to fix it that we must have totally forgot the easiest method. I have 3 spare tanks for my 1100's....didn't pay over $50 for any of them. I got one for $16.
              It is defiantely the best route to take. Then it is just a question of sanding/painting.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
              X