X

Proper steps for ABS prep?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper steps for ABS prep?

1. pieces that have good factory paint / clear, but where I'm filling a couple of holes (Drilled). I know I need to sand down the areas to be repaired. Is 80 grit too much? IF so what grit is recommended?

2. Pieces that have 'questionable' paint on them in rough shape. What grit should I use for the whole piece? Will 150 grit be enough? Do I need to go down to the bare plastic, or just until it's smooth?

3. Once I have repaired areas, I was hoping to use an aerosol 2K primer / filler on the entire piece. On repaired areas what grit should I use PRIOR to applying 2K primer / filler? On areas that didn't need repair, is 320 grit okay before primer application?

4. Once primer is applied to the entire piece, If I remember correctly 400 wet for solid colors and 600 wet for metallic colors before base coat application is what was recommended...am I on track?

Thanks for the help...it's greatly appreciated.

Your on track, but don't really need to drop below 200 for any of the sanding. It will take the paint off plenty quick even for repairs.

What process are you going to use to fill the holes?

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-19-2009, 09:49 AM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i use 400 before primer and 600 before paint. (both wet sanding)

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Your on track, but don't really need to drop below 200 for any of the sanding. It will take the paint off plenty quick even for repairs.

What process are you going to use to fill the holes?

Krey
        I'm probably going to try several things. One repair is actual where a circular piece was cut out of one of the fairing...the rest of the fairing is in very good shape. I've got a spare fairing that's rough, but has enough area that I can cut a patch from.

What I had planned on trying, was this:

1. Cut a patch piece from donor fairing (slightly bigger than needed)
        2. Trim the patch to fit the hole
        3. Use a soldering iron to 'tack' the patch piece in, working from the rear of the fairing.
        4. Complete the plastic weld.
        5. Re-inforce the repair from the rear with either ABS cement or epoxy.
        6. Fill some of the low spot in the repair (from the outside of the fairing) with either ABS cement or epoxy
        7. Apply filler to the repair to smooth it out

If this works out I would use this process on the other areas that need work.

Several of the fairings have good factory or added (BC/CC) paint. On those, I would only sand down the areas that need repair. Then I would use say 320 on the entire panel after repairs. Then prime with 2K primer / filler..I was thinking of using this:

R&E Paint Supply is your source of high end auto body supplies, paint, and equipment. Click here today to view our quality auto paint supply products!

As it's gotten very good reviews from auto body professionals...

Then I would sand the repaired areas, as needed, to smooth them out. Deal with any other spots with filler or putty as needed...then wet sand the entire panel with say 400 in prep for base coat application.

On the two tanks I'm going to work on, I would sand all the bad paint off of the tank, use filler on any dings / dents as needed....smooth those out to say 180 grit...

Then prime the tank(s) with a 2K aerosol epoxy here:

R&E Paint Supply is your source of high end auto body supplies, paint, and equipment. Click here today to view our quality auto paint supply products!

Fill / smooth any spots as needed, then wet sand with 400 in prep for base coat...

Input / Feedback?

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
          I'm probably going to try several things. One repair is actual where a circular piece was cut out of one of the fairing...the rest of the fairing is in very good shape. I've got a spare fairing that's rough, but has enough area that I can cut a patch from.

What I had planned on trying, was this:

1. Cut a patch piece from donor fairing (slightly bigger than needed)
          2. Trim the patch to fit the hole
          3. Use a soldering iron to 'tack' the patch piece in, working from the rear of the fairing.
          4. Complete the plastic weld.
          5. Re-inforce the repair from the rear with either ABS cement or epoxy.
          6. Fill some of the low spot in the repair (from the outside of the fairing) with either ABS cement or epoxy
          7. Apply filler to the repair to smooth it out

If this works out I would use this process on the other areas that need work.

Several of the fairings have good factory or added (BC/CC) paint. On those, I would only sand down the areas that need repair. Then I would use say 320 on the entire panel after repairs. Then prime with 2K primer / filler..I was thinking of using this:

As it's gotten very good reviews from auto body professionals...

Then I would sand the repaired areas, as needed, to smooth them out. Deal with any other spots with filler or putty as needed...then wet sand the entire panel with say 400 in prep for base coat application.

On the two tanks I'm going to work on, I would sand all the bad paint off of the tank, use filler on any dings / dents as needed....smooth those out to say 180 grit...

Then prime the tank(s) with a 2K aerosol epoxy here:

Fill / smooth any spots as needed, then wet sand with 400 in prep for base coat...

Input / Feedback?
          I think you have it pretty well planned out, and it should look good. Just a few tips for ya working with the ABS...

Be sure all parts you apply ABS cement to are clean (wash with soap and water just before applying), and totally free of any paint, dirt, oil, so on. Should be bare ABS on ABS for the best results.

Apply the ABS in thin layers for the best results.

Give the ABS 24+ hours to cure. You can get a quicker cure if you lightly sand the shiny surface of the ABS cement after about 5 hours. Just rought it up, and it will allow for faster evaporation of the solvent used to make it, but don't do any heavy shaping to it yet.

Good luck and can't wait to see some cool before and after pics, and a newly painted bike!

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X