X

trying to fix a tank dent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
    All I have to suggest is the way we do it in the bodyshop... If it was me, I'd fill the tank with water, then use a rivet spot welder and tack rivets on to the bare metal throughout the dent. Once that's done, you fasten a slide hammer to the rivets and hammer the dent outward. Once the dent is pulled, you cut off the rivets, grind the metal, coat with short strand body filler, smooth it out, prime it, feather it, and it's ready for paint.

Since you probably don't have a rivet welder or slide hammer, I suggest poking around a couple of small body shops and asking if you can use or rent their equipment.
    We call those hand-held stud welders "Stingers" - you can usually find a kit on E-bay for under $200.00 - which includes a slide hammer. Once the dent is pulled out, you cut the copper pins off and grind the weld points smooth. A nice tool to have in the arsenal, or like Alex said, see if an autobody shop will loan you the tool.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

put a decal over it.

Comment

Originally posted by ellshorty View Post
        There is a good sized dent on my tank from the po, and i want to remove it without damaging the tank. It is located in the front top right side (bike was downed on r side) from where the handlebars slapped it. i dont really care if i have to paint it again or whatever, just trying to make it look good..or better tahn it is thanks guys!!
        Something like this?

They make it look so damn easy....
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOjYvT0jEU&feature=related"]YouTube - Suzuki Motorcycle Gas Tank Paintless Dent Repair / Removal PDR- San Diego[/ame]
        1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

wow that was crazy

Comment

When I worked at the body shop we had a guy named Ceaser come out and do this kind of work on contract. He saved us a lot of time for small and some big dents. These guys do crazy things.
            My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X