X

trying to fix a tank dent

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to fix a tank dent

There is a good sized dent on my tank from the po, and i want to remove it without damaging the tank. It is located in the front top right side (bike was downed on r side) from where the handlebars slapped it. i dont really care if i have to paint it again or whatever, just trying to make it look good..or better tahn it is thanks guys!!
    1990 Katana 750 +2 rear sprocket (the original) [SOLD!!!]
    1990 katana 750 -1 front sprocket (the $300 parts bike that became the runner lol) [sold!!!!]

Any pics?
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

What you do is remove the tank and drain it, fill it up some with water and then find a way to pressurize the tank, then take a small round end hammer and tap slighty around the edges of the dent while its pressurized and the dent should bring itself out slowly, so dont rush it and it will come.

If its small, just use some body filler, sand it smooth and make sure the entire tank is primed to avoid ghosting.

Fife

Comment

the way we used to fix tankdents is fill it up with water then put it in a deepfreezer for about a day or two. water exspands as it freezes that will bring the dent out
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
          the way we used to fix tankdents is fill it up with water then put it in a deepfreezer for about a day or two. water exspands as it freezes that will bring the dent out
          Intesting concept
          P/O put one in mine also but bit of a crease
          Ever cause a seam to fail ?
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Just fill it with body filler,
            Cheap and easy and lasts forever.

This was the 2nd time this bike was crashed and dented the tank in the same spot. Cost about $60 to fix it
            Sand paper, short strand fiberglass filler, spot putty, filler primer, paint.

Any sharp dent won't come out with pressure, even then you usually have to shrik the metal before it will come out. this is not a method the first timer wants to try.
            Even slightly too much pressure and you distort the bottom and start seperating the seams. Freezing a tank... um I don't think so... how can you possibly direct the pressure to the dent and not split the tank somewhere else?

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
              ......Freezing a tank... um I don't think so... how can you possibly direct the pressure to the dent and not split the tank somewhere else?
              many have done it in days gone by, so i'd have to say, yes it can be done.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, beer in one hand, cigarette in the other, your body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WHO HOO what a ride"

Comment

Many have ruined a good tank to
                dry ice on the outside is a hell of a lot safer
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

uummm ebay?

Comment

All I have to suggest is the way we do it in the bodyshop... If it was me, I'd fill the tank with water, then use a rivet spot welder and tack rivets on to the bare metal throughout the dent. Once that's done, you fasten a slide hammer to the rivets and hammer the dent outward. Once the dent is pulled, you cut off the rivets, grind the metal, coat with short strand body filler, smooth it out, prime it, feather it, and it's ready for paint.

Since you probably don't have a rivet welder or slide hammer, I suggest poking around a couple of small body shops and asking if you can use or rent their equipment.
                    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Hot glue, an old valve, pair of vise grips, and a small hammer. Feel free to replace any of the above with what you have on hand that will accomplish the same thing.

Use hot glue to stick the valve head to the center of the dent. Use something else to pull the dent out, such as quick and dirty...Vise grips to clamp onto the tail of the valve, and small hammer to tap on the vise grips.

If your looking at doing this more than once, there are several inexpensive options to make a fully working repeat, ease of use tool using the hotglue trick.

And the hotglue will peel right off once done, and won't damage the paint for those larger shallow dents where the paint hasn't cracked or flaked.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ive always used the good ole method of fiberglass bondo yea!

Comment

awesome great ideas!!!
                          1990 Katana 750 +2 rear sprocket (the original) [SOLD!!!]
                          1990 katana 750 -1 front sprocket (the $300 parts bike that became the runner lol) [sold!!!!]

Comment

When water freezes it expands in mostly all directions, causing possible "exlploded" areas for lack of a better description.

Comment

well you can drain it and then take off the fuel float in the tank then take a wooden stick and bit the dent from the inside

do this verry gently so not to damage even more

or you can do this[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjOjYvT0jEU&eurl=http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&safe=off&ei=P32cSajmEJC4MvW8lJkF &resnum=0&q=fixing+dent+in+[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Working...
                              X