X

how many litres of paint to do my 98 kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many litres of paint to do my 98 kat

im changing the paint on my kat how many litres will i need.

im thinking of candy red with black metal flake

when i painted mine a few months back i used half a litre of black 2pack paint and this was mixed with activator and a little thinners. in total i had just over 3/4 of a litre and this did the wheels also. i then used around the same in clear cote.
    so in total i bought 1/2 litre of black paint, 1/2 litre of clear cote , 1/2 litre of activator and i bought 2 litres of thinners as you will use this to clean the gun ect ect.

Comment

Didn't anybody teach you guys how to spell "liter"?

Just playing. I had to throw at least one Yank post into your UK thread!
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I did the kat with less than a quart. I have no idea what that translates to in liters.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

cheers guys thanks for help. so i think now 5 liters is a bit much.

Comment

Most paints come with the need for reducer, which is "usually" a 2 to 1 ratio. You could technically paint a piece such as (cowl size) if your experienced and have the proper equipment, but you would only need a 2oz bottle after you add reducer, if that gives you an idea.

If you are looking to do red with a black metal flake, I would suggest doing a red base that is close to the color you want, then add your red with black flake on top of that, it will allow you to use less paint, and allow the flake to sit up on top. Hope that helps!

Comment

thanks for all the help ill let you all know when i start the paint job

Comment

Since you already have 5 liters, you might as well paint all of our bikes!
                sigpic

Comment

good to know

Comment

Originally posted by wht00kat View Post
                    Most paints come with the need for reducer, which is "usually" a 2 to 1 ratio.
                    I have never mixed 2:1. 1:1 is what it is supposed to be.

with that said, if you can not spray a bike with a pint of paint mixed 1:1 to give 2 pints, then you are wasting paint.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Your right Mojoe, sorry that was a mistake on my end, it is a 1:1. Didn't even realize it when I was typing that up. But yes a pint should be plenty, especially if you use a base that matches the color pretty well, or a good primer.

Comment

Originally posted by wht00kat View Post
                        Most paints come with the need for reducer, which is "usually" a 2 to 1 ratio. You could technically paint a piece such as (cowl size) if your experienced and have the proper equipment, but you would only need a 2oz bottle after you add reducer, if that gives you an idea.

If you are looking to do red with a black metal flake, I would suggest doing a red base that is close to the color you want, then add your red with black flake on top of that, it will allow you to use less paint, and allow the flake to sit up on top. Hope that helps!
                        Have you used metal flake before? I'm planning on painting my tank with a flake and this is the method I've seen and been told to use.

In my experience you need to lay your base, add a mid clear (usually two coats) and then lay your clear with the flake mixed according to taste. Then you need to use the mid clear to bury the flake and make sure it all "lays" properly then on top you'll clear it.

You need to make sure the flake lays properly or it will sit above your clear and when you go to wetsand and such it will mess it up.
                        97 GSX600F
                        76 CB750F
                        71 CB175

Comment

Originally posted by viper View Post
                          cheers guys thanks for help. so i think now 5 liters is a bit much.
                          only would need 5l if you are planning on dipping it
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by starion88esir View Post
                            Have you used metal flake before? I'm planning on painting my tank with a flake and this is the method I've seen and been told to use.

In my experience you need to lay your base, add a mid clear (usually two coats) and then lay your clear with the flake mixed according to taste. Then you need to use the mid clear to bury the flake and make sure it all "lays" properly then on top you'll clear it.

You need to make sure the flake lays properly or it will sit above your clear and when you go to wetsand and such it will mess it up.
                            That's how we did it. The flake always went in the first coat of clear. Then it's just a matter of doing enough coats of clear to smooth it all (PITA on jumbo flakes), followed by wetsanding. I can't imagine you'd be able to see the flake too much if you put it in the base. I've never tried, though, so I don't know.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

The flake doesn't get put in the base. It gets put on after the base in what's called a mid clear, that's where you lay the flake. Then you use a top clear.

If you've done it that way with good results, that's awesome. That's why I was asking, since all I've heard is bury it in a mid clear then clear over the mid clear. That way unless you burn through the layers of top clear there's no chance of harming the burried flake.
                              97 GSX600F
                              76 CB750F
                              71 CB175

Comment

Working...
                              X