X

Where to get paint?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get paint?

Does anyone have a good location to buy paint beside Color Rite? I finally have a compressor and about to buy a sprayer, so I'd like to get some cheaper paint to run some test sprays on. Actually, cheaper than Color-Rite would be better in general. Thanks in advance.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

For learning, go to an auto supply store (usually mom & Pop stores, and not chains like AutoZone can mix paint for you), get a quart of some cheap paint, and practice.

Make sure to clean the paint gun out well after use. Are you going to get an HVLP?
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Yellow pages, find automotive paint suppliers.
      Make sure that you get approximately the same type of paint that you plan on spraying later (i.e. - don't use enamel if you will be practicing to spray oil-based laquer, etc). Suggest you find a sheet of metal to practice on too, as spraying something else (wood, paper, etc) won't give you the same feel.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber has a good point.

Some paint stores will have some mis-mixxed that did not match or were total screw ups for a steal. You will have to ask though. Alot dont want to admit that they mess up when mixxing by having a big display of bad mixes. You may also want to look at getting various types. Lacquer,enamel, and catalyzed. That way you have a feel for the different types of paints.

I went and got an old hood from the junk yard for twenty bucks, when I was trying to teach my son. That way you can work with primer, and color. Gives a large surface to get the feel of using the gun.
        One project done, now on to the next few!!
        Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Right now I'm looking at painting the bike. And now that I think about it, I have no clue what type of paint is used in automotive/motorcycle painting. That would be a help if I know that. (duh me...)

I like the idea of using a car hood, Micdalen. I was going to get some plastic sheets from the local hardware joint, but I'm sure it's a different feel than ABS plastic. Even though the car hood would be different, it's a large enough area that I could work on all my techniques including finish sanding and clearcoating.
          -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

The car hood wood mimic the tank pretty well. Any ABS would mimic the bodywork.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

napa does paint and i think fairly cheap.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                The car hood wood mimic the tank pretty well. Any ABS would mimic the bodywork.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Pardon my dorkness, just a question about painting a bike. You know what i think the answer is Lou's "How TO' I'll look there first....
                This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I went to NAPA a bought singel stage paint, but its the Reducer and the Hardner that costs so much. It is very easy to paint just make sure you make long sweeps over the fairings and not short ones half way up the fairings. Hang then from the celing using cloths hangers and make sure you are in a well ventulated area with good lighting.

I painted mine for under $100 but I own a compressor and a paint gun http://katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27547

Comment

I went ot a local privatly owned store. Most of his paint is 5 dollars a quart and 10 to 20 a gallon. I got all the paint, primer, clear coat, hardeners, etc. I needed to paint my bike for 45 dollars and Im using a pearl and a metallic.

Comment

I found a auto paint supply shop not far from where my wife works. After I get paid I'm going to head over and see what he has.
                      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                        I went ot a local privatly owned store. Most of his paint is 5 dollars a quart and 10 to 20 a gallon. I got all the paint, primer, clear coat, hardeners, etc. I needed to paint my bike for 45 dollars and Im using a pearl and a metallic.
                        holy crap! I am curious as to just what he sold you. for sure it is not basecoat/clearcoat. And the quality has to suck at that price. I only use quality paints bacause I have dealt with enough headaches with the cheap stuff.

here is what my 1100 project bike cost me in paint:

$50 for a quart of primer
                        $50 for a gallon of thinner
                        $40 for a PINT of silver
                        $80 for a quart of candy red (clear with a red tint)
                        $120 for 5 liters of reducer (enough to allow me to paint 10 bikes)
                        $100 for a liter of harder (I think).

I walked out of the supply store with one box that cost me around $500 with taxes.

you can add another $60 for the gold I used for my frame.

But unless you know what you are doing, it is risky paying that much for paint and supplies.

If you want to practice and get the feel of painting, my suggestion would go visit some body shops. I have maybe 20 pints of different colors that I picked up for next to nothing...and sometimes free. There is often paint left over from a job and they will part with it instead of leaving it around doing nothing. I am currently hooked in with a guy who lets me have basecoat/claercoat paint at $10 a pint (quality R&M and BASF).
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

he had dupont, and metalflake. He's old and the paint may have been there for awhile, but nothing is wrong with it. They had price tags on them for 30 dollars a quart but he had signs that said they were only 5 now so I just feel I got a good deal and if worse comes to worse it only cost 45 dollars. I do plan on a test on an extra side fairing I have.

Comment

Originally posted by tigers202002
                            he had dupont, and metalflake. He's old and the paint may have been there for awhile, but nothing is wrong with it. They had price tags on them for 30 dollars a quart but he had signs that said they were only 5 now so I just feel I got a good deal and if worse comes to worse it only cost 45 dollars. I do plan on a test on an extra side fairing I have.
                            actually, I never should have said it must suck without know for sure.
                            dupont is decent. and the way you explain it, it sounds like a deal where I wish I was there to take advantage of it. so ya....go for it. and for just starting out, all the better at that price.
                            My comment was more in reference of actually using cheap paint to do your bike with. But if he is just clearing out his stock at those prices, buy enough to paint everything you own cuz those prices are cheap. I envy you.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I didn't take your comment as bad so don't worry. Trust me I wouldn't want to use bad paint. I thought dupont was ok. Like I said I do plan to test it on an old fairing I have.

Comment

Working...
                              X