Color-Rite Aerosol?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color-Rite Aerosol?

Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has painted a part of their bike using Color-Rite's aerosol cans?

If so, was it an easy process? Did it come out the right color? It looks easy enough according to their website, but just wanted to check.

Cheers,

Meadow
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

i used it and it worked very well. very easy to use. i used the clearcoat that you have to mix, somethin bout two agents...i don't remember what it was called. but it was very easy and it all came out lookin great.
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

Not so good of an experience. The color came out like compared to the stock color on my bike. I used the recommended primer and everything. The only thing I didn't do was use their clear coat. That may have made a difference, but the cost kind of puts me off.
      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
      -Terence

Comment

Yah,

I'm just concerned about my colour. I have the 06 Candy Sonoma Red, that has the metallic look to it. It requires a base coat, main coat, and clear coat. The overall cost for all that cans is like $90 after shipping.

Can local body shop places accuratly reproduce the metallic sheen if they scan it? Don't wnat to sound cheap, but hey, I'm not made of money.
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

Comment

I just painted my solo cowl with Color-Rite last month and was VERY pleased with the color match as well as the finished result.

2005 Aprilia RST1000
          2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
          1998 Chevy Tahoe
          www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

Bad experience here too !! Got a can to paint my cowl and the color does not match

For 90$ I am sure you can find a good body shop that could match and paint.

Anyways that's what I'll do .... it did do a nice job tho just doesn't match.
            Guylaine
            Try and keep up now

Comment

I think I'm going to try the aerosol, but you will need a clear coat on any paint job...other wise it probably will just look like a flat paint job...
              I love the smell of gas and asphalt in da mornin'

Comment

i have used it i got 1 can and it was close but no match ..then ordered a 2nd can for the bottom peice and it matched perfect .. but on the first can the mid panels i painted were already black so i didnt do the base coat... might not of been the same color black

it was easy to do w/ no runs and came out gr8
                gl

"I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way..."
                Jessica Rabbit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3iUp9UjuMo

Comment

You could take it to a body shop and if you are not in to much of a hurry to get it back then they may not charge you too much.

Comment

can you get the cans at a paint store?just a thought..

Comment

can you get the cans at a paint store?just a thought..

Comment

I got a fairing painted at a shop here in Edmonton. They sent the fairing to a laser-scanner that matches the paint.
                        He welded plastic, made it nice and matched the paint VERY close (not perfect) for 200$C. You've seen my bike- nobody notices unless I direct them to the difference.
                        Good ride last week by the way
                        Erik
                        "Live your own life, for you will die your own death" Roman proverb

Comment

Some of the colors are harder to match than others too. Especially the shading. Example, the suzuki blue gray color that my bike is, is dramatically different depending on how many layers you put on.

Comment

I've used their products with mixed success.

Using the right color primer is critical (I did the right one -- white), then the color layers (which worked perfectly too, at least until the 5 year-old neighbor girl got involved in making it pretty using her blue glitter). Their top-grade clear-coat was a disaster here because of the humidity -- the propellant can pushed enough humidity out of the air to form ice chunks that splattered into the clearcoat, basically combining with the blue glitter to ruin the entire project (saddlebags).

In the end, I got such as case of the arse, I simply sanded it down some and sprayed them with Krylon Fusion -- the saddlebags don't color match, but the finish went on just fine and touching them up after a long road trip (where they get thrown about hotel rooms, etc) is easy...

The lesson I learned is to use an airbrush set-up or proper full-spray set-up for at least the clearcoat, or farm my painting out (I use Bob Brown at empire.GP for most of my MC stuff that gets plastic welded and/or painted, like the GF's ninja fairing after she crashed it just outside Robbinsville one year).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X