X

Best way to fix these issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to fix these issues?

I just bought this 2001 GSX600F Katana but it needs some body work and since this is my first bike I need some advice. The previous owner either didn't know how to ride well or messed with the bike alot because it has signs of being dropped on both sides.

Here are 5 pics of the bike as it was when I bought it. The bike was originally blue and they painted the right and left cowl black but then dropped the bike on the right hand side after painting it.

Here are close ups of the areas I want to fix.

First issue bike wont pass inspection because they did a fender elimantor on the bike by cutting off the old fender and moving the lights themselves without buying the kit. So now I need to add a license plate light. Plus under the fender is pretty hacked up, not real noticeable but I can see it.

Second issue I would like to fix is the right cowl, drop marks.

Third issue missing or wrong screws for under cowling and front.

Last issue scratch on tac and bars

I know most of these issues are just cosmetics but I would like to clean it up and have it looking nice.

What are the best ways to fix these issues and where are the best places to buy the parts I need? I live in Southern New Hampshire if that makes a differnece.

Also the front brake lever is broken at the end and I would like to replace all 4 foot pegs, both review mirrors are scratched (back side) and could use replacing also.

Thanks in advance.

Use the OEM Microfiche at this site:

It will give you an idea what your looking for.
    Bike is sold

Comment

I like to fix things with fire... But thats just me.

I know that really doesn't help much. Sorry.

Check out www.Superbrightleds.com They sell LED clusters that come in different colors, and you can get white to use as a license plate light.

Check out the ALM series Accent Light Modules, Second product down from the top... or maybe even the first one at this link... Clicky

As for the mirrors and what not, go with either OEM stuff from Ebay or a place like BikeBandit.com or RonAyers.com. A lot of aftermarket mirrors are really small, and you prolly won't be able to see much with them.

As for rear blinkers, forget a bracket.. go with integrated turn signals that sit flush on the rear of the bike. They are still bright as hell, very noticable, but really clean up the rear in my opinion. Lock Hart Phillips makes a wide selection.

Cracks and scratches in the fairing. Check out my painting guide. Basically fill, sand, and paint as needed.

Good Luck!
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Bolt replacement

Hey, as far as replacing bolts with an OEM kit goes, try www.bikebolts.com. They have the best price, any color and also send way easy instructions. I just their kit on my 1995 gsxf 750 and it worked like a charm.

There are also a billion undertail kits on ebay (where I find the majority of my items) for your bike.

Goodluck!

Comment

Awesome information....

Has anyone tried these bolt beam lights? SweetLou I think these might work for my license plate light issue. But I wonder what the inspector will think?

Comment

wholehogak

Does the bolt kits come with the under cowl bolts from what I could see looked like just fairing and rear screws? I am sending bikebolts the same question because that may be the way to go and just replace all the bolts.

Thanks

Comment

Spedee

Thanks I got some great printouts of what I need know I just need to find those parts for as little as possible. I couldn't believe how expensive something like a foot pedal cost to replace. I think I might just have to deal with the ones I have for now. Especially since they only have cosmetic damage not really much more than that.

Does anyone know of a person who might be selling parts for a 2001 GSX 600F Katana? Maybe? Like mirrors, foot pegs, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by TAFNAP
                Spedee

Thanks I got some great printouts of what I need know I just need to find those parts for as little as possible. I couldn't believe how expensive something like a foot pedal cost to replace. I think I might just have to deal with the ones I have for now. Especially since they only have cosmetic damage not really much more than that.

Does anyone know of a person who might be selling parts for a 2001 GSX 600F Katana? Maybe? Like mirrors, foot pegs, etc?
                Jim Braada may have some parts. He owns this place.
                Bike is sold

Comment

Sounds good I will wait to see if he reads this post to see if he has any parts laying around he might want to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by TAFNAP
                    Awesome information....

Has anyone tried these bolt beam lights? SweetLou I think these might work for my license plate light issue. But I wonder what the inspector will think?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/bolt_specs.htm
                    I actually just picked some of those up in red from my local auto store. I haven't installed them yet, but I don't think they would pass you in inspection because they are really only bright from head on, not so much from the side, so they are not projecting light up to the plate.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I have heard of guys using those LEDs for
                      windshield wiper sprayers as license plate lights..

They are on an angle and replace the
                      plate screws I guess..

Comment

For the plate lights, I like these:

They replace the bolts that hold your plate on, and have a slot in the bottom which allows the light from their internal bulb to shine down. I don't think you can use anything that points backward, so the standard bolts with the LED would need to be mounted on the bottom of the tail shining down to work. I have a set of these bolts, and like them a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffM
                          For the plate lights, I like these:

They replace the bolts that hold your plate on, and have a slot in the bottom which allows the light from their internal bulb to shine down. I don't think you can use anything that points backward, so the standard bolts with the LED would need to be mounted on the bottom of the tail shining down to work. I have a set of these bolts, and like them a lot.
                          wow, i like those...seeing how my license plate is behind my tail. would something like that pass inspection?

Long Live the D

Comment

That looks like that should work. I will have to find out. I am off to my local parts store to see what I can dig up.

Comment

If you decide you want everything painted the OEM blue again and don't want to deal with it yourself, I'll suggest contacting EmpireGP.com and getting a quote. They do good work and will get it done at a very reasonable price. If you do want to go that route, let me know and I'll help offset the cost because I have some stuff I want them to shoot in the same '01 OEM blue at the same time (meaning I'll pay some of the paint supply cost).

If want to do it yourself, SweetLou's painting thread is invaluable. Just be aware that for that particular blue, you must have a white base coat (either a true white primer or white paint base) before you spray the blue to get the right color results.

PS - I carry some of the OEM bolts you need in my stocks.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X