X

need a chain but dont know what to get

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a chain but dont know what to get

i need a new chain for a 96 kat 600.i counted the links on my old one and it was like 112 i looked on bike bandit and found a bunch of chains for like 50 dollars. but i dont know what i need i am going to a 13 tooth front sproket. am i gonna have to cut the chain or something to size it?? what tools do i need and could someone tell me the best chain for youre money i can spend but like 60 or under.

You are in a world of hurt.

You're not likely to find any chain that meets your needs for $60, plus you're going to need tools to remove the old one and install the new one. And normally when you need a new chain, you usually need new sprockets all around as well.

My advice would be to go see your local dealer -- usually they can make a quicky deal if they're cool for $85 or so out the door for a new chain installed (because it takes a trained mechanic only about 5 minutes to install one).

More info? Read this:
    CyberPoet's Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance explained page

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
      http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/productlist~section_dept_id~1170244~terrain_dept_i d~1173059~cat_dept_id~1410762~product_dept_id~1410 793~selection_Path~3.asp
      Fred, that link doesn't open for me...

Cheers
      =-= The CyberZukiPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That link took forever to open but it did work for me.

DiD , best chain around, IMO. Not exactly cheap but its worth it for sure. Here's some good info if you care to take a look. http://www.didchain.com/suzuki.htm

Comment

The link worked for me now. Same brand/type chain/combo I just bought (although obviously I ordered for the 98+). I also noticed that their prices went up -- the combo was right around $120 from January thru about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X