X

Chain ratings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain ratings

I'm chain shopping again and after seeing many different tensile strength ratings I wondered what is the minimum rating for a heavy katana. Obviously bigger is better but when does it become unnecessary overkill?

Originally posted by moodylane View Post
    I'm chain shopping again and after seeing many different tensile strength ratings I wondered what is the minimum rating for a heavy katana. Obviously bigger is better but when does it become unnecessary overkill?

There isn't a published one in the way your thinking.

Additionally tensile strength is not a wear indicator, and that's the larger issue.

You could theoretically put a very thin but high tensile str. chain on the kat. It would not break from initial use, but due to the very thin width it would wear very fast.

Wear and neglect are what breaks most chains.

That said... Any O-ring chain made by RK, EK, or DID in the 530 series is going to be more than enough. If you go 520 series by them, then I would suggest a higher tensile rating to slightly counter the faster wear rate your going to see somewhat due to the thinner chain.

What bike, how do you ride, and what is more important to you out of a chain? Price? Durability?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Durability is more of an issue to me. I've had chains slip off or break and cause a lock-up. I've never dumped a bike because of it yet but it makes me leary. So much that when im cruising down the road, the chain is always on my mind. (And tires among other things.) im running a 530 and have found a few rated at 9850#, but i think it was a volant maybe? Havent heard a lot about them.

Comment

Durability is more of an issue to me. I've had chains slip off or break and cause a lock-up. I've never dumped a bike because of it yet but it makes me leary. So much that when im cruising down the road, the chain is always on my mind. (And tires among other things.) im running a 530 and have found a few rated at 9850#, but i think it was a volant maybe? Havent heard a lot about them.

Yeah, avoid those like the plague... volar or what ever. Several have already posted here that they suck, badly.

I would strongly recomend DID X ring for you. It's worth every penny, and will last.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

After doing some research on the X-ring VX series, it looks like thats what im looking for. Im finding them for around $109 on ebay. Is that a good price?

Comment

After doing some research on the X-ring VX series, it looks like thats what im looking for. Im finding them for around $109 on ebay. Is that a good price?

Yes, that's a very reasonable price.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Comment

Durability is more of an issue to me. I've had chains slip off or break and cause a lock-up.
                Durability means nothing without proper chain maintenance. You should never have a chain just pop or slip off.
                Yes 109 is a good price on a 530 D.I.D.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

To clarify, i was test riding the bike before i bought it and the owner had not tightened the axle nut. I'm well aware of the maintenance involved in cleaning and lubricating a chain, but I do not want a chain that will have a mechnical failure even after proper care.

Comment

To clarify, i was test riding the bike before i bought it and the owner had not tightened the axle nut. I'm well aware of the maintenance involved in cleaning and lubricating a chain, but I do not want a chain that will have a mechnical failure even after proper care.
                    Correct spec chain will never fail if maintained properly...get a quality 530 chin and call it done, this is not an area to really save money.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X