Super strong chain worth it's price ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super strong chain worth it's price ?

Hi,

I will need a new chain and sprocket soon on my GSX750F 2006. This will be my first chain/sprocket change. I'm riding alot, last month about 3000 mile.

Did super strong chain, like EK ZZZ series, worth the high price ?

For the rear sprocket, steel or aluminium ?

Regards,

David
    Current : GSX750F 2006
    Previous : CB900F 1982

Yes, a quality chain is "worth" more than a cheap chain. Searching around will show you that. A quality chain well taken care of will last you 15-20k+ miles. A cheap chain might fail in 3k.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've got 23k miles on my current chain. A quality chain with a little TLC will definitely last longer. I'd recommend steel sprockets - they last longer. If you're trying to shave 3 pounds by switching to aluminum so you can go faster...you're probably on the wrong bike. Kats are heavy. Always will be.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        I've got 23k miles on my current chain. A quality chain with a little TLC will definitely last longer. I'd recommend steel sprockets - they last longer. If you're trying to shave 3 pounds by switching to aluminum so you can go faster...you're probably on the wrong bike. Kats are heavy. Always will be.
        I agree with you. I don't want to go faster. So if pound saving is the only benefit of aluminium vs steel. I will go with steel.

Comment

What else should be looked for in a chain? Is a gold chain like the best of the best? What do you consider to be the best brand? And sprockets... I don't know anything about them.

Comment

From my little experience, the color of the chain is up to you. Look for chain with high tensile strength and high wear resistance. Good company give specs about there chains. I have a D.I.D. 530 VX, very satisfied. But other brand like RK and EK made similar chain.

I will let other talk about sprocket. For me, steel sprocket are the best.
            Last edited by rider65; 09-24-2013, 08:04 AM. Reason: added brand

Comment

Yeah, I definitely want steel instead of aluminum... but are there any other options?

Comment

I'm ridding for aprox 8.000 Km JT Steel Sprockets + DID Chain no adjustment until now

Comment

I just installed another RK "X" combo on my 06 Kat after 30K of "rented mule" trashing of the bike at just shy of 90K miles. As the others have stated, a good quality chain will go a long way - even with sub-par maintenance far better than a lesser quality unit. A chain is one part of the drive train you really shouldn't cheap out on.
                  2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                  2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I'm thinking D.I.D. is the best chain. I don't think name brand matters as far as sprockets go. Having said that, I would still avoid Made in China sprockets if possible. Also, many sprockets say steel on the name, but when you look at the description, it is actually some steel blend. So, check that as well. Color doesn't matter.
                    Extra life.

Comment

GSXF Jim on here does custom sprockets. PM him.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I had the DID x-ring chain and new sprockets installed about 15,000km (24k miles) ago. Only had to adjust recently. Very happy with it. Only have one small niggle, it doesn't have a master link. So if I wanted to do some major cleaning of swingarm and surrounding areas I can't take the wheel off.

Comment

Originally posted by wing View Post
                          I had the DID x-ring chain and new sprockets installed about 15,000km (24k miles) ago. Only had to adjust recently. Very happy with it. Only have one small niggle, it doesn't have a master link. So if I wanted to do some major cleaning of swingarm and surrounding areas I can't take the wheel off.

I don't understand this post.

Are you not aware you can remove the wheel with the chain intact?

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What's the difference with x-ring vs. o-ring?

Comment

I'm on my third chain with 69,000km on the bike.

The first set was factory, replaced with a cheap (junk) chain and the last was a D.I.D. gold.

The D.I.D. is by far the best chain I've ever had... I think I've only adjusted it once for stretch in about 13,000kms. The cheap chain had to be adjusted every 1500-2000kms!
                              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X