X

Replacing my valve stem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing my valve stem

Seems my valve stem is ripped and is leaking air. Basically, I can't put more than around 15 psi before it starts leaking out.

So, in searching for a simple way to replace the stem, I came across a Goldwing forum, in which someone used a large C clamp to break the bead on his tire. Then, he simply pulled out the old stem and inserted the new one.

My question is, has anyone here done that? I bought a snap in valve stem for tubeless tires at the store. Would I need to do anything in terms of tire balancing or something that I am not thinking about?
    Extra life.

If you already have the wheel off the bike, most shops won't charge more than 25$ for tire installation. I'm sure you could talk one down a few dollars to only change the stem and balance it. I doubt the new stem will throw the balance off significantly, so you're probably ok without balancing.

Comment

As long as you only break the bead at the stem you should be fine. The tire should stay in place so no need to re-balance.

Comment

a bike tire can only be installed in one place anyway. that it what the round dot is on the sidewall....it's lines up with the valve stem.

a c-clamp is fine for breaking the bead. it's the easiest way. do yourself a favor though and pick up a valve stem tool before tackling the job. the new stem may go in easy, then again it may not. you need to pull it into place without damaging it. that means NOT grabbing onto it with vice grips. home hardware has them.

as for balancing.....as long as you stick with the same size stem you will be fine.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

just index the tire stem location on the sidewall before you remove the tire...
          you need the tool to install the stem and lots of grease or tire paste. They are not easy usually.

fwiw super glue gel works good for a quick repair to get it to a shop.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks for the guidance. I am running out to get that valve removal tool now. It does ride well enough I guess, though I haven't taken it above 35mph or outside of my development.

I don't think I would want to ride it to a shop though. Closest one is a few miles out and of course, they close at 4p on Saturday and are closed Sunday and Monday. I wish they had better hours, but I get it.

I will try to put up pics as I do the job. Hopefully, won't be more than a 15 minute jobie.
            Extra life.

Comment

if you can get a 45* valve stem. easier to ck pressure.[metal obviously]
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I tried the past couple days to squeeze the darn tire with a 6" c clamp, but the clamp just isn't big enough to get the clearance I need to get to the valve. Gotta give it up and take the darn tire to a shop just for a valve stem.
                Extra life.

Comment

Working...
                X