X

170/60 rear tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 170/60 rear tire

I've done a little research on here and have been thinking about going to a 170/60 instead of the 150/70. Somewhere somebody said you had to mod the swing arm, where somebody else said you didn't. Could someone please give me a definite answer?

Originally posted by Nofear6677 View Post
    I've done a little research on here and have been thinking about going to a 170/60 instead of the 150/70. Somewhere somebody said you had to mod the swing arm, where somebody else said you didn't. Could someone please give me a definite answer?

IF you have a post kat,

And you stick with a 4.5" rim,

You can use a 170 tire with out modifcations if the tire manufacture lists the tire for that size rim.

It's tight, but it doesn't rub...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey, what would you suggest?

Comment

160/60 is plenty and safe
        1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
        1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
        Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

I have a 170/60 on my post. As Krey says - it fits the rim and it fits the swing arm - but clearance is tight. Personally, I would run a 170/60 over a 160/60 to keep the diameter roughly the same as the 150/70 stock. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the 150/70 as a tyre. But going to a 170/60 gives a wider choice of (not necessarily better) brands and a more pleasing look (to some).

Comment

Personally I prefer 160/60 over both 150/70 and 170/60. But that being said it is all about what you want.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

What are the pros of the different sizes? Like does one wear quicker? Or, does one ride smoother?

Comment

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
                Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
                Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?

Tons of info on these questions on the first 3 pages here.....
                Last edited by 05RedKat600; 06-19-2012, 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

^^^^^
                  thanks for pointing out the specific pages. every time i do a search i go through about 50 before i find one i want.

Comment

Working...
                  X