X

Fat rear tire??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat rear tire??

I'd like a fatter rear tire (mostly for esthetics). What can I get? Do I need a new rim?? Currently own an all-stock 2006 GSX600F. All opinions welcome...

you can go 160/60 with nothing needed. Or you can pay a bunch of money to get your swing arm widened, new rim, etc. I think Krey said he does it for $250 plus the swingarm and shipping, then you would just need a new rim and whatever tire suits your fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by the_feev View Post
      I'd like a fatter rear tire (mostly for esthetics). What can I get? Do I need a new rim?? Currently own an all-stock 2006 GSX600F. All opinions welcome...

How fat?

You can mod(or have modded) your swingarm and then safely use a 5.5 with min additional mods, just the parts to make it work.

You can go 6" with some added mods over the 5.5 and offset sprockets.

Larger than that you need a fully custom swingarm and some serious $.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

heres a pic of my 160-60 on my 2000 kat 600. small difference but def the cheapest and easiest route to go a bit wider

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Plug n play... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...15#post2196415
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

90% of 170/60-17 tires are designed to fit a 4.5"-5" rim

Im running a 170 shinko Apex. My previous tires were a 160 (second pic)
              looks and works great. No mods needed, then again I dont have a chain guard so clearance with a chain guard may be an issue.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-21-2012, 10:47 PM.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I guess I'm weird, a previous owner of my Kat did whatever it is you have to do to safely fit a a 170/60 and when I replace it I'm probably going to do a 160/60 if I can't find any OEM size for a reasonable price. With my riding style, I won't notice the performance difference as far as grip goes (I'm assuming I wouldn't notice anyway), and the smaller sizes should be cheaper.

I guess the big rear tire looks neat...but I'm a cheapass.

The front I bought a 120/70 Shinko podium 006 - ~$68, several hundred miles later and no complaints.
                I'll probably match the rear in model when it's time just because.
                Price comparison:
                150/60:$87
                160/60:$91
                170/60:$95
                (priced from bikebandit)
                So I guess it's a marginal difference in $, but hey, the $8 from the 150 to the 170 pays for shipping!

It would be a different story if one of the bigger sizes lasted a lot longer. Then I'd have to go that way just for longevity.
                Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
                  The front I bought a 120/70 Shinko podium 006 - ~$68, several hundred miles later and no complaints.
                  I'll probably match the rear in model when it's time just because.
                  Price comparison:
                  150/60:$87
                  160/60:$91
                  170/60:$95
                  (priced from bikebandit)
                  So I guess it's a marginal difference in $, but hey, the $8 from the 150 to the 170 pays for shipping!
                  You don't want a 150/60. If you want the OEM size you need a 150/70.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                    You don't want a 150/60. If you want the OEM size you need a 150/70.

Derp...apparently I forgot the OEM size. That particular one doesn't come in a 150/70 so I guess I'll end up with the 160

EDIT:
                    A question, Is there any significant performance benefit (grip/stability) with a (honestly only marginally) wider motorcycle tire?
                    A wider car tire I understand, with a flat tread surface, wider very much correlates to more rubber on the pavement which helps grip. I even understand the difference between softer, stickier compounds for sporting purposes (favorite car tires evar that I've used were the Falken Azenis Sport RT215 -- too bad they only lasted from march through september that year)

I can imagine that a significantly wider tire (e.g. from a 100 to a 150 or something ridiculous like that), but I can't see how I'll notice going from a 150 to a 170 (assuming comparable compounds).
                    Yes, I'm still kind of a bike n00b.
                    Last edited by Squisher; 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM. Reason: Asking a question
                    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                    H. L. Mencken

Comment

If you guys are putting 170/60-17's on the back, what are you putting on the front?

Comment

120/70
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by blob-79 View Post
                          If you guys are putting 170/60-17's on the back, what are you putting on the front?
                          You don't put a 170 on the back of a Kat without a wider rear rim. So the answer to your question is 120/70.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            You don't put a 170 on the back of a Kat without a wider rear rim. So the answer to your question is 120/70.
                            A post kat will fit a 170. Wouldn't be my choice, but you don't need a larger rim (unless of course we are talking about a pre kat).
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

sorry to hijack this thread.

my kat is an 89. What would you guys say are the widest tires i can go?

Comment

Working...
                              X