X

Daddy got some new shoes.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daddy got some new shoes.

...and by daddy I mean me...and by shoes I mean tires. Of course.

Just got a set of PP2CTs mounted on the Kat. It's raining so I can't take it out yet, I wanna take it for about 100 miles or so to wear the new tire smell out before I start to really work them though.

I was in desperate need though. I have attached 2 pics, the before and after. Can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get out and ride!

Edit: As a note, the back rim was black before I took it off and cleaned it for the new tire. The PO obviously took very little time with bike care. There was so much buildup of brake dust and chain oil it took me an hour of scrubbing each side of the rim to get it back to gold. It took me another 2 hours for the swingarm, center stand, frame and all the components around it. I think it came out pretty good for a 22 year old rim.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bryan3091; 05-01-2012, 06:50 AM.

Yeah I think it was time for a new tire. New tire looks pretty good though
    ----USMC combat vet----
    07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

Thanks.
      I have put quite a bit into cleaning it up before I take it out. I plan to get some extra plastics and practice painting/sanding so that I can have a winter project while I have the plastics off to clean the bike up anyway.

Comment

Keep us posted as to how long those last, they are a rather soft compound.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
          Keep us posted as to how long those last, they are a rather soft compound.
          That's what I have heard, but I have heard good things about them too. A few people on Amazon claimed to get 8k out of them. We'll see. I don't do a ton of riding, maybe a few trips to NY from here are in order just to get out and ride. As soon as I have them scrubbed and take the bike on some trips I'll post back on how they perform.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan3091 View Post
            That's what I have heard, but I have heard good things about them too. A few people on Amazon claimed to get 8k out of them. We'll see. I don't do a ton of riding, maybe a few trips to NY from here are in order just to get out and ride. As soon as I have them scrubbed and take the bike on some trips I'll post back on how they perform.
            I know on liter bikes and SS 600's they last about 3-4K miles. They should last considerably longer on a Kat.

Comment

Wow...... I don't think I've ever seen a tire in that rough a shape. Did you happen to lock up the back brake for quite some distance? Congrats on the new shoes.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I'll get a few years out of them then lol. Not often I get to ride the bike, I have to bring the baby to daycare on my way to work

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                Wow...... I don't think I've ever seen a tire in that rough a shape. Did you happen to lock up the back brake for quite some distance? Congrats on the new shoes.
                I didn't, the bike is new to me. The PO may have for all I know.
                Last edited by bryan3091; 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Just remember, commuting on them will flatten them out a lot quicker. The PP2CT is a decently aggressive tire.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Just remember, commuting on them will flatten them out a lot quicker. The PP2CT is a decently aggressive tire.
                    I know. Thankfully my commute has plenty of curves.

Comment

A few people on Amazon claimed to get 8k out of them.
                      Somebody needs to tell them that they can't count trailer miles.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I got about 2,000 miles on my rear 2ct before it went out on the kat. Of course that was due to a nail in a bad spot. Front 2ct is around 5,000 now and has a while to go left on it. Will hopefully be able to finish that tire off next season after the build is finished. *knocks on wood*
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Holy delamination, Batman! That tire needed to go a while ago.

I've got 2ct's on my bike, too. They were the most grippy new tires I've ever ridden. I was nervous about them being slippery at first but they gripped like they were already broken in right from the start. The idea of the dual compound really appeals to me since most of my riding is low speed, going to work and back but on weekends I like to put the bike into turns pretty aggressively. We'll see how they do.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'll get a few years out of them then lol. Not often I get to ride the bike, I have to bring the baby to daycare on my way to work

I didn't, the bike is new to me. The PO may have for all I know.
                            looks like a bias dunlop ... well used.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

what size is that new tire?

Comment

Working...
                              X