X

Dynabeads

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynabeads

I thought I would post this to save anyone thinking of using Dynabeads the trouble. I recently replaced my tires and decided to use Dynabeads. I read a lot about them and decided to take the chance. The shop put 1 ounce in the front tire and 2 in the back. I went out for a ride to test the dynamic balancing. The bike developed vibration in the front tire around 90-95 mph. The bike shop wouldn't put more in so I call the manufacture. They told me that the 120 was on the borderline and to add half an ounce so I did. I still had the vibration not as bad and it had vibration 40 mph now. I added another half ounce and got no improvement. Today, I took the bike in and had the Dynabeads removed. The rear tire was good and I never had any issues, but when they unmounted the front the beads were clumped and stuck to the inside of the tire. Innovative Balancing states that the beads will not clump, they did. Dynabeads for me were a no go. I realize there are some variables that could have affected this and in theory they would work, The problem was more than likely moisture and N2O could have possibly precluded it from happening. I'm trying to get the video from the shop that removed them so you all can see them. If he posts it on YouTube I will add the link...
    Last edited by astevens54; 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM.
    2014 Ducati Monster 1200
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/austin-stevens/

Same result here. Mine worked great under 90ish and didn't even sort of work over 100.
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

Comment

Thanls for posting this. I was considering trying them out on the gsxr when I mount my tires monday.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
        Thanls for posting this. I was considering trying them out on the gsxr when I mount my tires monday.
        Glad the post helped, I was hoping to stare anyone problems that was considering them. I hope to get the video to post. It shows it all...
        2014 Ducati Monster 1200

Comment

I actually have Dynabeads but haven't tried them yet. My plan was to install them well after the tyre mounting "glue" had dried, because the thought of the beads clumping in the glue worried me. I would have ridden home from the shop unbalanced and inserted the beads at a later date. I would be interested to know if the glue was the problem with clumping, or if it was allowed to dry first??

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
            I actually have Dynabeads but haven't tried them yet. My plan was to install them well after the tyre mounting "glue" had dried, because the thought of the beads clumping in the glue worried me. I would have ridden home from the shop unbalanced and inserted the beads at a later date. I would be interested to know if the glue was the problem with clumping, or if it was allowed to dry first??
            It could have been, but if that were the case why would the back tire have been fine? I did deflate the front tire a couple more time times than the back. I saw the beads in a container and they didn't "seem" to be glued together. It appeared to be moisture. You could try and use nitrogen, but there is still the ambient air in the tire before you start. I do know that one of the guys in the group I've ridden with swears by them. This was my experience and you may have success, but the reviews are mixed.
            2014 Ducati Monster 1200

Comment

Who uses glue to mount tires?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                I was wondering if they were using soap and water to mount the tire and that could have affected it?
                2014 Ducati Monster 1200

Comment

Originally posted by astevens54 View Post
                  I was wondering if they were using soap and water to mount the tire and that could have affected it?
                  Absolutely! Some places use a lube when they mount and that would cause the beads to clump.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    "glue" = WETF goo they use to help mount / seal the tyre to the rim which could cause dynabeads to bond to specific areas or clump - you know - as if acting like a glue.
                    Last edited by TRPUT; 04-21-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

I've used dynabead with good results. I had no issues at all and no vibrations either.

If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
                      Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
                      Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !
                      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
                        I've used dynabead with good results. I had no issues at all and no vibrations either.

http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...8&postcount=40
                        Actually - that link possibly supports my theory. You had weights first and would have added beads when the tyre was fully dry internally so little chance of the clumping issue. I would be surprised if dynabeads can clump simply because of water - surely that was part of their design brief.

Comment

dynabeads are ceramic so you'd think it would take some real sticky crap to glue em together.

They are a major pain in the arse to get into the tire though.

Actually - that link possibly supports my theory. You had weights first and would have added beads when the tyre was fully dry internally so little chance of the clumping issue. I would be surprised if dynabeads can clump simply because of water - surely that was part of their design brief.
                          Attached Files
                          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

how do you install them? Ive been having problems with my front, this interests me.

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                              how do you install them? Ive been having problems with my front, this interests me.
                              Pull valve core, hook up tube over valve stem and beed bottle, pour them through the tube into the tire. Keep flipping the side of the tube to keep them flowing.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X