Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2006 Kat 750 Rear Tire (to stock size or not)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Kat 750 Rear Tire (to stock size or not)

Fellow riders:

I have a 2006 Katana 750 with stock size tires:
    Front tire: 120/70-ZR17 currently Michelin Pilot Power 2CT
    Rear tire: 150/70-ZR17 currently Michelin Pilot Road 2

I'm about to get a new rear tire.

The problem, Michelin doesn't make rear a Pilot Power 2CT in stock size.
    However, there is a rear Pilot Power in the stock size.
    Michelin does make a rear Pilot Power 2CT in 160/60ZR17, which is wider than the stock size.

The question: Would you stick to the stock size and get the non 2CT tire or switch to the wider 160/60ZR17 to get the 2CT tire? More danger to having a wider tire, throw off the speedo, impact lean angle, etc?

Regardless of your answer, please include your reasoning.

Keep in mind I tend to ride more aggressive and go to track days.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Pilot Power 2CT

Pilot Power

You'll be fine with the 160/60 PP 2ct. It is what I was running when I had post wheels on my build.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

make sure you check their fitment guide
      I went with a 170 continental for the look and it was recomended for the stock rim width
      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

I am a slab rider so I wear out the center way before the edges but do notice a new tire rolls into a corner much smoother
      When I wear out a tire it feels like it falls into a lean
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

The bandit came stock with essentially that same wheel and a 160/60. I don't find much difference in the sizes overall.

In order of "grippy-ness" from most to least
        2ct
        pp
        pilot road 2
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

2ct FTW
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

as a note, the 2CT is being discontinued, and is being replaced with the "Power Pure"

drop a 160/60 on no probs, i've been rolling a `160/60 Michelin Pilot Power, or 2Cts since I started riding.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Reports of the Power Pure, is that they are crap.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Michellin's tire fitment guide lists the 150-width tire as recommended for the post Kats but they routinely recommend 160-width tires for other bikes with 4.5" rims.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Reports of the Power Pure, is that they are crap.
                  I'm with this guy, I havent heard many positive reviews of them. Same grip as the PP 2ct with worse feel, plus you cant ride on them in the rain.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Wouldn't waste my money on the pure or the PP 2ct. PPower isn't a bad tire, but for my money I'd go Q2 if you want a proper sport tire, it's just a better tire.

Now that being said, I've passed plenty of people running proper sport tires on a Connie running the PR2 and PR3, course then again, I've passed quite a few with the KLR on DOT knobbies too. As the old saying goes, it's probably not the arrow that makes the biggest difference. I'm not saying I'm all that, but I am saying, the tires probably aren't the thing holding you back.

Yeah, a 160/60 fits just fine on a post Kat.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The power pure is basically a DOT track tire/hypersport tire.
                      very light, very soft compound with 80% of the rear tire a softer compound then the 20% down the middle.
                      my customers run them on the VFR1200 and 2010 VMAX... they last 10k km.
                      these are great tires but will wear fast on light bikes that spin a lot.

the 2CT tires are the better tire and the power pure is a 2ct tire as well

before I spent any money on another set of Michelin tires I would buy Conti sport attacks or Shinko Apex
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        The power pure is basically a DOT track tire/hypersport tire.
                        No, the Power One is the DOT track tire. The Pure was supposed to be the replacement for the Power 2ct, but it doesn't have any more grip, and it gives no and/or bad feedback so you can't tell what it's doing. The only thing the Pure has going for it is weight.

For anyone that can get them to last 6000 miles, tell them the handlebar grip on the right is the throttle.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Power one is a DOT track tire and Replaced the pilot race
                          power pure is a track hypersort tire
                          power 2ct is a supersport tire

Anyone who says they have no feed back or better grip has no idea about what they are talking about.
                          same tire compound as the power one... lighter then the power 2ct
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                          X