No announcement yet.
X

What sprockets with did chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a vortex on the 750 and I've been amazed how well its worn for an aluminum sprocket with about 7k on it. But on the other hand I've taken great and regular care of it. Most likely better then the vast majority do.

I'd agree if your going to abuse it, stick with steel.

Richard
    96 Suzuki GSX750F
    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
    05 Yamaha WR450F
    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I've got the Vortex because the price was right. I'm not into dumping the clutch but I did have to do some WOT exercises today as part of the maintenance runs. (No really, I did! That's my story and I'm sticking to it, officer.) It was enough to get the front end to lighten up but it's not like I'm drag racing.

Again, time will tell. We'll see how it goes. Worst case is I'm replacing a sprocket earlier than I'd like to.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        I've got the Vortex because the price was right. I'm not into dumping the clutch but I did have to do some WOT exercises today as part of the maintenance runs. (No really, I did! That's my story and I'm sticking to it, officer.) It was enough to get the front end to lighten up but it's not like I'm drag racing.

Again, time will tell. We'll see how it goes. Worst case is I'm replacing a sprocket earlier than I'd like to.
        Yeah, like I said, my experience with them is strictly with high powered low weight bikes that are ridden as they were intended to be ridden. You couldnt pay me enough to run a Vortex sprocket on either of my bikes.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
          ...my experience with them is strictly with high powered low weight bike...
          And we're talking about a Katana here. Not high powered, not light weight.

iowandyiow, is this sort of discussion helping you any or are we just hijacking your thread?
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            And we're talking about a Katana here. Not high powered, not light weight.

iowandyiow, is this sort of discussion helping you any or are we just hijacking your thread?
            Of course we're hijacking. That's my job

The 1100 is heavy, but still has decent power for its age. The main factor is how much stress is put on the sprocket teeth, whether its a 70 hp 500# katana or a 125hp 420# gsxr 750, see what I mean?

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

iowandyiow, is this sort of discussion helping you any or are we just hijacking your thread?[/QUOTE]

Its good to see peoples diferent views and oppinions thanks for giving me something to read

Comment

Originally posted by ep87 View Post
                I've got a vortex on the 750 and I've been amazed how well its worn for an aluminum sprocket with about 7k on it. But on the other hand I've taken great and regular care of it. Most likely better then the vast majority do.

I'd agree if your going to abuse it, stick with steel.

Richard

This.

My experiance with the vortex sprocket and a 520 setup... Keep the chain clean, keep it lubed every 600 miles, your good. Go 601 miles with no lube and you will suddenly see alot of wear starting on the sprocket.

I ride pretty aggresive in the curves, but never had an issue with that at all... unless you count the times I forgot to lube the chain.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  This.

My experiance with the vortex sprocket and a 520 setup... Keep the chain clean, keep it lubed every 600 miles, your good. Go 601 miles with no lube and you will suddenly see alot of wear starting on the sprocket.

I ride pretty aggresive in the curves, but never had an issue with that at all... unless you count the times I forgot to lube the chain.

Krey
                  Again, empirically I have no evidence based on the katana platform, and have no idea what the guys I rode with did as far as chain maintenance, so its kinda

But you wont ever catch me with one on a bike that Im not selling instantly ever again.

Comment

Thanks for everyones input so far. Iv found 2 diferent sets of sprockets the first set is made by renthal and the second set was made by sunstar? Im siding with renthal at the moment even though they cost a fair bit more. Am i correct in thinking standard amount of teeth are 15/47 bike will only be used for sunday rides, goin to bike meets and goin for ice cream lol. So i think sticking with that combo should b fine

Thanks

Comment

Renthal sprocket are good, I do like them and recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Renthal sprocket are good, I do like them and recommend them.
                        Thanks they were the ones i was leanin towards and probably well worth the few extra quid. All i have to do now is try and get that front sprocket off (not looking forward to it as i have already removed the chain) rebuild rear brake and maybe forkseals then ill b ready for the summer.

Comment

Yeah it's MUCH easier to break the sprocket nut loose with the chain on. Then just step on the rear break. Since it's already off, just use a big channel lock and hold the front sprocket.

Comment

You could always put the new chain on... break the nut, swap the sprockets.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              You could always put the new chain on... break the nut, swap the sprockets.

Krey
                              Thanks i didnt want to ruin the new chain on old sprockets but will b a hell of a lot easier then getting the old one on.

Thanks for helping me see the obvious answer lol

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              Yeah it's MUCH easier to break the sprocket nut loose with the chain on. Then just step on the rear break. Since it's already off, just use a big channel lock and hold the front sprocket.
                              Sorry just read your post and its another good idea thanks.
                              Last edited by iowandyiow; 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

New chain/old sprockets is a source of discussion for "over time" use wear... the thought being that the continued uses of new and old together will increase the over all wear of the new as well... and shorten the life of the chain (we are talking thousands of miles of use generally...). Agree or not, I don't believe that using the new chain to break the nut loose is going to do much of anything to the new chain. And if it did... I'd be really really concerned about the chain you chose. But you probably have come to that conclusion already.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X