X

Tirox Chain Cleaner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is what I have to say about Triox

The owner is a complete ****in moron and a arrogant prick.
    As a seller of his products thru my suppliers (parts canada/parts unlimited) I had two customers return their products because the cans (still full) would not dispence the cleaning solvent.

I wrote an email and got a reply back from the CEO explaining how he only uses the best quality in his products and it must be operator error. That they test everything bla bla bla. the fact it the cans spray only upside down indication the siphon straw has come loose inside.
    he offered to come down to my shop and show me how to properly use the product but was unwilling to refund my customers thier money or provide them with a new one.
    SO %@$# you TRIOX and your better then thou attitiude.

Ill use wd-40 and a soft tooth brush thank you.

To clean my chain and keep it looking new I first spray it with a product called FLUID FILM. then ride the bike for a couple days. After that you can wipe off 90% of the dirt the rest will easily brush off with wd-40 and soft tooth brush or chain brush. I finish with simple green 50/50 water mix and then hose off.
    run the bike on a stand in gear to dry off the chain then spray agin with flid film. After a couple rides I spray the chain with Belray super clean chain lube until my next cleaning.
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I still have the brush on the shelf, but I find it mostly annoying to use. I just use the grunge brush i got at cycle gear on sale for $5.

Also IDK about using WD40 as a cleaner
      Grunge brush + WD-40 is the shiz for me. WD-40 is nothing more than mineral spirits for the most part, and o-ring safe. Been using this method for a long, long time. Matter of fact, WD40 is mostly descented kerosene.
      Low odor paraffinic solvent. Dearomatized kerosine. Deodorized kerosene. ICSC # 1379. CAS # 64742-47-8. 50%
      Spray it on, let it sit for 3-5 minutes, grunge brush it, hose it off, dry and lube.
      Last edited by 05RedKat600; 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

you guys are too posh

I ride to my local self service car wash. I bring my plain old Diesel from the gas station in an old spray bottle. Put the bike on the centerstand, spray the heck out of the chain. then I use an old spunge to wipe off the gunk. I also spray the spunge. the gunk dripps off like nothing. Then I wash the rest of the bike with soap at the same spot. I ride home to get the chain warm and spray on new chain wax.

clean bike, clean chain , no expensive fancy stuff.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Diesel and Kero are chemically similar. Same effect.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
            here is what I have to say about Triox

The owner is a complete ****in moron and a arrogant prick.
            As a seller of his products thru my suppliers (parts canada/parts unlimited) I had two customers return their products because the cans (still full) would not dispence the cleaning solvent.

I wrote an email and got a reply back from the CEO explaining how he only uses the best quality in his products and it must be operator error. That they test everything bla bla bla. the fact it the cans spray only upside down indication the siphon straw has come loose inside.
            he offered to come down to my shop and show me how to properly use the product but was unwilling to refund my customers thier money or provide them with a new one.
            SO %@$# you TRIOX and your better then thou attitiude.

Ill use wd-40 and a soft tooth brush thank you.

To clean my chain and keep it looking new I first spray it with a product called FLUID FILM. then ride the bike for a couple days. After that you can wipe off 90% of the dirt the rest will easily brush off with wd-40 and soft tooth brush or chain brush. I finish with simple green 50/50 water mix and then hose off.
            run the bike on a stand in gear to dry off the chain then spray agin with flid film. After a couple rides I spray the chain with Belray super clean chain lube until my next cleaning.
            I also had a can not dispense the product and as such will never get it again. The brush is ok but after a few uses the brushes break down and it is a PITA to clean it unlike a normal brush. Kerosene and grunge brush is what is on my plate now.
            I am a Penn State fanatic.
            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

How often should you clean and lube your chain? What type of product should I use for lubing? While were at the cleaning part, I was told wd-40 on the rims will clean them better than most other products. Any suggestions?

Also, how often should I change the brake fluid and which fluid should I use?

2006 Katana 600.

Edit: So I thought this was an interesting take on chain cleaning. Read what "Bikenut" writes.

Last edited by Oddy Turner; 06-03-2012, 09:49 PM.
              All the world's a stage,
              And all the men and women merely players;
              They have their exits and their entrances,
              And one man in his time plays many parts,
              His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddy Turner View Post
                How often should you clean and lube your chain? What type of product should I use for lubing? While were at the cleaning part, I was told wd-40 on the rims will clean them better than most other products. Any suggestions?

Also, how often should I change the brake fluid and which fluid should I use?

2006 Katana 600.

Edit: So I thought this was an interesting take on chain cleaning. Read what "Bikenut" writes.

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...p/t-10287.html
                bikenut is an idiot. Yes interna portion of chain is ok but everything else need lube to prevent premature wear. Your talking metal on metal with the sprockets and chain here...

I clean my chain about every 500 miles or less. This year I am burning off this chain so I have ben bad about it. No sense caring for a chain I am going to swap out for 520 conversion.

I use Simple Green for my wheels. Takes all grim right off and you dont have to worry about it spraying on your chain like you do with wd 40.
                I am a Penn State fanatic.
                Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

That bikenut dude is a ****ing moron.

That seems to happen with Ninja 250 owners though, go check out the Ninja 250 section on Kawiforums if you think we get dumb questions and advice here
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                    bikenut is an idiot. Yes interna portion of chain is ok but everything else need lube to prevent premature wear. Your talking metal on metal with the sprockets and chain here...

I clean my chain about every 500 miles or less. This year I am burning off this chain so I have ben bad about it. No sense caring for a chain I am going to swap out for 520 conversion.

I use Simple Green for my wheels. Takes all grim right off and you dont have to worry about it spraying on your chain like you do with wd 40.
                    I'm not saying he is an idiot, but his way of doing it struck me as odd considering everything I am hearing on KR. To put it to rest, I went and talked to the guy that owns the only bike repair shop here now. He has been working on bikes for about 40 years: street, touring, cruisers, Harley, etc . . . He has his own garage full of bikes including track bikes and a drag bike.

According to him, neither answer is wrong. He said that bikenut is correct except that you should still clean it every 2k miles or whenever it looks dingy. He said to clean it you should just take a rag, get some heavy motor oil (80w) and just rotate the wheel while you hold the rag to the chain. He says that he does it with all of his bikes, including the drag bike.

I have 8k miles on my chain and have put 6300 on it myself and have never done anything to the chain (clean or lube) because no one told me about it when I bought the bike. I have taken the bike to him almost every 2k miles because of mechanical issues that happened after it was stolen a stripped. He says he does the motor oil on the rag each time a bike comes in, which is probably why my chain is just now starting to look dingy.

Now he does sell the chain cleaning solutions you guys seem to like, but he said he does it because riders like it and swear it works. When you clean it with that stuff it sticks to the chain, because it is sticky, which causes dirt and road grime to stick more to your chain, which in turn leads to the rider having to clean the bike more. Since the chemicals that clean the bike also take the lube off, then you have to lube it more and more as well.

He went out and checked my chain and showed me how you can tell the o-rings are still good. He said the chain is fine, but I may want to clean it with the motor oil since it is getting dingy. He is correct about my o-rings, they are still thick and there is plenty or room between the metal. Since I have never used those chemicals and have not wiped out the lube from my o-rings, I would have to say bikenut was on to something. Since I am at 8k on my chain and it is still doing great, I am going to have to side with the guy that has worked on bikes for 40 years.

I was planning on changing my chain around 10k to a chain I have been looking at that will fit the theme I am building.
                    All the world's a stage,
                    And all the men and women merely players;
                    They have their exits and their entrances,
                    And one man in his time plays many parts,
                    His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Working...
                    X