X

Tirox Chain Cleaner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tirox Chain Cleaner

This evening, after the wife got home from work, her and I took a trip to cycle gear to see if they had a jacket she wants to buy, so that she could try it on, check sizing and whatnot.

Anyway, this isn't about the jacket (although I ordered it for her tonight), I found this chain cleaner - Tirox and promptly purchased out of pure curiosity.

As you can see there is a brush included which really helps get the job done, I was skeptical, years of using Kerosine has steered me clear of paying for expensive chain cleaners, well Tirox is made mostly from Kerosine so I thought I'd give it a shot.
    Man this stuff works great! The brush does an exceptional job and really makes the job fast and much easier, gone are the days of single headed nylon brushes, and I'll say it, I like it better than the grunge brush.

Since there is already an extensive review on webbikeworld, I won't say anymore. Here's the link

And to Tirox's website
    Tirox 360° Motorcycle Chain Cleaner, Kerosene Chain Cleaner, Chain Brush, Chain Cleaner, O-Ring Safe Chain Cleaner, How To Clean Your Chain.

My next chain maintenance purchase will be a Chain Drain, mentioned in the review, and reviewed here-

Just thought I'd share what I think is a great improvement on chain maintenance.

Eh, I'll stick to kerosene and a toothbrush.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I just used this the other day to clean my neglected chain...man..works great! Chain was messy and this did an amazing job at getting the crap out of it....no more dirty chains....

Comment

The Tirox stuff works well, but not any better than kerosene.... and even if you buy the expensive undyed kero like I do it's still 1/10th the cost of the Tirox.

I gal of Kero has lasted me over 2 years already. The Tirox was 1.5 chain cleanings.

I think the brush is really a novelty.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've been using this for about a year. Works great for me.

Comment

I've been using a brush like that on my Canyoneering ropes for a while now. Wonder why nobody thought of using it on a chain sooner.

Comment

I was told to just use gas to clean the chain... Is that ok?? as I'm waiting for a clear day to clean & lube the chain up...

Comment

Don't use gasoline.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Don't use gasoline.
                  damn and the ones who have told me to use it are the 2 bike shops in my area cause they don't sell chain cleaner so "just use gas then lube"...

Comment

Um, they sound like the kind of bike shops you shouldn't go to.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roe1880 View Post
                      damn and the ones who have told me to use it are the 2 bike shops in my area cause they don't sell chain cleaner so "just use gas then lube"...
                      Gasoline is OK for NON o-ring chains, but for O-ring chains, gasoline will eat the o-rings and ruin the chain. Kerosene or o-ring safe cleaners only. Personally, I use WD-40. Works fine.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Um, they sound like the kind of bike shops you shouldn't go to.
                      This. Oh so this.

Comment

ok new question from the newbie...lol.
                        How can I tell which type of chain I have? The guy I got the bike from had told me he put a bigger chain on it, so how do I check?

Sorry OP for stealing your thread, but it is related information...

Comment

No worries. This post wasn't really going anywhere to begin with. haha

Steves- How long did the brush last you? I'll probably go back to kero when this can is empty. I do like the brush though (which can be bought separately).

Roe- Here's some pictures for comparison.

Hope that helps.
                          Last edited by kmbphoto; 04-03-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks allot KMB... i will take a look.. Now as per RedKat has indicated he uses wd-40 is that safe on either one? 'cause I know I got some of that sitting around...lol..

Comment

I still have the brush on the shelf, but I find it mostly annoying to use. I just use the grunge brush i got at cycle gear on sale for $5.

Also IDK about using WD40 as a cleaner
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X