No announcement yet.
X

Front Wheel replacement options?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now the guy said he was pretty sure it came off a 2001 katana... sounds fishy :\
    so i asked him for the part number or the vin of the bike so i can know for sure what model year it came off of.

... any one know where to find the part number on the wheel itself? I've only found markings on the spoke that say J17xMT 3.50 and AJY... doesnt seem like a part number to me

turns out there are three models of wheels that were put on post kats;
    54111-08F10-Y6G W/X/Y/K1
    54111-08F10-019 K2
    54111-08F20-019 K3

the W/X/Y/K1 and K2 will only fit 1998 - 2003 as Krey stated earlier

however the K3 model wheel will fit 1998-2006 Kats... are those numbers anywhere on the wheel itself?? anyway to tell what model one has?

(all information was gathered through motosport.com and ronayers.com)
    Last edited by jippah; 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM.
    sigpic
    2000 Suzuki 600 Kat - Blue Fury V1.0
    2006 Kawasaki 636 - Blue Fury V2.0
    2011 Dodge Charger RT - Lexi

Comment

Originally posted by jippah View Post

however the K3 model wheel will fit 1998-2006 Kats...
      No it won't. K3 stands for 2003.... the fiches all just get tossed together like that. Probably measuring would be the best way to make sure it is the wheel you want.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Have him take a photo of the left side of the hub. Even though 98+ Kats have an electronic speedo, 98-02 wheels still have the tangs to drive a cable speedo. 03+ wheels don't.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Have him take a photo of the left side of the hub. Even though 98+ Kats have an electronic speedo, 98-02 wheels still have the tangs to drive a cable speedo. 03+ wheels don't.
          They do have those actually... so that won't help.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Pretty sure the 03+ wheels have a 17mm axle, so that would be something easy to measure. There is probably a difference between rotor mounting surfaces as well that could be measured without much difficulty.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Can he read the numbers on the bearings? 98-02 should be a 6302, 03+ should be a 6203.
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

i asked if he would check to see the what the number is on the bearing, and again for the VIN number for the bike it came off of.
                i really appreciate everyone who has posted ideas on how to tell the difference between the two wheels!
                sigpic

Comment

I wonder, if the wheel turns out to be from an 04 kat, is it possible to press out the bearings and press the 2000's bearings into the 04 wheel? wouldnt that solve the issue with different diameter axles?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jippah View Post
                    I wonder, if the wheel turns out to be from an 04 kat, is it possible to press out the bearings and press the 2000's bearings into the 04 wheel? wouldnt that solve the issue with different diameter axles?
                    No, because the bearing diameter is different too.

Comment

You really don't want to re-use bearings. The removal method includes a drift and a hammer. Chances are a lot higher that the bearing's going to be damaged than that you get lucky and they're fine.

I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but if the outer diameters are the same then you could use new bearings from a 2000. Look at the fiches on Bike Bandit. Usually the bearing sizes are listed as IDxODxWidth.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post

I don't have the numbers in front of me right now but if the outer diameters are the same......
                        They aren't.

Comment

03+ has a fatter hub.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah... I posted them the other day in jippah's other thread. Not something I've got memorized. That's what references are for.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            03+ has a fatter hub.
                            You mean wider between the axles? That could be a problem with spacers, including the one inside the hub, between the bearings.
                            Last edited by Wild-Bill; 11-06-2011, 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

hm. well thats a bummer.
                              anyone want need a 2004 front wheel?
                              sigpic

Comment

Still have that front wheel?