X

Stuck front sprocket

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck front sprocket

So I i have an 89 gsx600f and just tried to replace the sprockets and chain. Tried the key point. I got the fairings and sprocket cover off then spent 3 hours with a buddy of mine trying to get the nut off the sprocket. We used a two foot breaker bar he stood on the brake while I pulled. Tire spun. Put it in gear. Tire Spun. Heated it up with a torch. Tire spun. Put a lug wrench between the wheel and the swing arm. Tire turned and bent the lug wrench. Finally gave up and put the back sprocket and chain on. I know it was wrong but it was getting late and needed to get home. I'd still like to get the front sprocket on to try and extend the life of this chain but I am at my wit's end any help would really be appreciated.

Use an impact. The right tools for the right jobs.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Use an impact.
      and DON'T put it in gear either.. !!! put it in neutral and and use the rear brake pedal to keep the rear wheel from spinning.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

You did take the bolt off on the end the shaft before you tried to break th nut loose, right?
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I've changed sprockets on 4 out of the 5 oil-cooled engines I've had, and I've never had to use more than a 1/2 drive ratchet, and maybe a pipe on the end of it. Hell, the first time I changed sprockets on my first Katana, I used a really big crescent wrench! (it has to be at an incredible angle too, so it barely engages on the nut) I think I stuck a block of wood across the swingarm last time, wrapped in a towel.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I appreciate the responses however please stop assuming everyone that posts on this forum is dumb, please. There is no bolt on the end at all, kinda concerned me when i saw a diagram. If I could afford an impact wrench that could apply more pressure than a 6 foot 6 250 pound guy with a 2 foot breaker bar I wouldnt own a 89 katana. I didnt put it in gear originally it was a last resort measure. Please I would like to get it off and out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by bino51301 View Post
              I appreciate the responses however please stop assuming everyone that posts on this forum is dumb, please. There is no bolt on the end at all, kinda concerned me when i saw a diagram. If I could afford an impact wrench that could apply more pressure than a 6 foot 6 250 pound guy with a 2 foot breaker bar I wouldnt own a 89 katana. I didnt put it in gear originally it was a last resort measure. Please I would like to get it off and out of ideas.

What I would do...

2nd option...

2X4 through the wheel on both sides of the swingarm, spin wheel till a spoke "pins" the 2x4 against the swingarm. Now the wheel won't spin.

With the chain on, use a rubber mallet or a hammer with a wood block to "impact" the handle of the breaker bar or wrench.

1st option...

Gather your basic tools in a pack, and ride the bike to a local small shop. Talk nice, ask sweetly... "Could you help me for just a second get this stupid nut loose?" and borrow their impact for the 5 seconds it will take for them to get the nut off. Replace with new sprocket, put the bike back together, and ride it home.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If I could afford an impact wrench that could apply more pressure than a 6 foot 6 250 pound guy with a 2 foot breaker bar I wouldnt own a 89 katana.
                It is not so much the pressure that will get it. It is the rapid tapping of the nut, which also makes it less likely for wheel movement unlike your 250 lbs of constant pressure.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Get a torch and heat up the nut. The last installer was probably an 800lb gorilla.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Calm down your funky azz attitude. Buddy, you are here asking for advice about how to get off a nut that is too tight. That's not exactly rocket science, so you are likely to get answers that assume you aren't the brightest crayon in the box.

So, after tossing a block of wood through the wheel to stop it against the swingarm, try the following. If one doesn't work, move on to the next:

Ratchet and socket (6 point, you don't want to round it)

Ratchet and socket with extension pipe for leverage

Heat LIGHTLY with a torch, and try again (there is an oil seal behind the sprocket, don't get sloppy with the torch)

Heat as much as you are comfortable with the torch, and try the ratchet, socket, and about 4' of pipe for leverage, preferably swung by a 300lb man on a roid rage.

If none of them work, then borrow an impact wrench (a serious one, not some 3/8 drive Harbor Freight special) or, worst case scenario, cut the nut off with a dremel, chisel, and hammer.

Probably somebody got ridiculous with some red locktite the last time, and once you get the threads hot enough it will come right off.

Also, if you managed to bend a lug wrench by using it to stop your wheel from spinning, you should think about buying better tools. On lug nuts I couldn't get loose, I've jacked cars up, put the wrench on the nut, and let down the car with a cement block under the wrench, and I've never bent a good quality lug wrench.

Hope that helps.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Find somebody with an impact, and apply heat. It is likely that someone used red threadlocker instead of blue.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Buy impact. Swap sprocket. Retur impact wit a hearty. " this pos doesn't work" get money back problem solved.
                        When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Now is the perfect time for Harbor Freight. You only need it to work once right? I believe we have a winner.

Comment

Guess I was more just wanting to b**** last night after f-ing with the nut for three hours and shouldn't have expected a miracle answer on the thing. What kind of impact wrench should I use I did try one rated to 430 ft lbs and it did squat on the thing.

Comment

air or battery powered?

Comment

Working...
                              X