X

Totally bummed...blahhh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
    It's the rear tire so it's not nearly as critical as the front. I'd definitely stop about once an hour to check the pressure to make sure it's still holding air.

Honestly though, it's a screw hole, not a big gash. If you can pull the tire and back that plug with a patch I'd just ride it until it's time to replace the tire. Just keep an eye on it in case that plug starts to show any unusual wear or you start to lose air pressure.
    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

I think plugs are the best friend of the poor man! lol I say this bc I would damn sure spend a few dollars to patch a tire rather than spend brand new tire money all over again...I had to shake my head as I walked into a local tire shop with a friend who asks about "burnout" tires. He gets a Metzeler Marathon 170/60/17 off the "junk" pile practically brand new with nipples and all for $5 simply bc it's plugged...I'm mad that I just paid $75 for a brand new Shinko Podium and this shop is in walking distance from my house...and I ordered one....pullin my hair out

Comment

1.) Marathons definitely belong in the junk pile regardless.

2.) They should have just given it to him. Since they sold it they are legally responsible if it blows up.

3.) I understand the price of a tire sucks, but for people like me who dont even ride 3k/yr it's better to replace the tire. Besides, the last thing I want to worry about while at full lean at 60-100mph is "Will that plug in my tire hold up?"
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Plug it and ride it, have had a plug in mine for the last 1500 miles no problems.
          TRUST YOUR HANG !

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

3.) I understand the price of a tire sucks, but for people like me who dont even ride 3k/yr it's better to replace the tire. Besides, the last thing I want to worry about while at full lean at 60-100mph is "Will that plug in my tire hold up?"
            Its not likely to happen , but , thats exactly why I'm gettin new meat. That little gremlin in the back of my mind telling me that plug is gonna pop out and cause an extended all expense paid, Canadian taxpayer funded, vacation at the local hospital.
            Not to mention I ride 2 up with Mrs. KatKrak quite a bit. I'd feel pretty bad if a popped plug got my wife hurt, or worse. Better for me to change it, just for piece of mind.
            1990 GSXF 1100
            2011 KLR 650

Comment

I used a patch plug on an almost new car tire. This is a patch with a rubber plug attached that you pull through the inside of the tire after the proper prep. This provides two levels of sealing and the plug can't blow out since its attached to the patch.

I bought mine at Napa. I did a search but I can't find it. They should still have them though.

Comment

Originally posted by MeowKat View Post
                I used a patch plug on an almost new car tire. This is a patch with a rubber plug attached that you pull through the inside of the tire after the proper prep. This provides two levels of sealing and the plug can't blow out since its attached to the patch.

I bought mine at Napa. I did a search but I can't find it. They should still have them though.
                Car tires and bike tires have almost nothing in common...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hot patch it from the inside and don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Car tires and bike tires have almost nothing in common...
                    It was my understanding that by "plugging" the tire he meant that gooey rope type plug. and the concern to be one possibly blowing out. I never liked these and would not use them on a bike or a car I owned unless I had no choice. Of course I would rather replace a bike tire as there are plenty of safety issues already on the road one cannot control.

Sealing the puncture alone is not what would concern me though. It would be the damage to the tire cords and structure. Could such damage spread over some miles/time and lead to a blowout? I would not want to be the one to find out.

I don't know of any type of small puncture repair kit made for motorcycle tires. I guess there could be a liability issue for a company to offer one.

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone wrecking, getting hurt or killed from plugs or patches....jus sayin' ....guess it's back to the 50/50. It really is mind over matter because they wouldn't continue to sell a product that doesn't work or work effectively for the particulars

Comment

I plug dozens of tires every year at my shop using mushroom plugs...

I use the Stop & GO tire plug kit. I have one for my shop and one under my seat along with a 12v compressor.

only a handfull have ever actually replaced the tire before it was worn out. A proper plug properly installed will be fine. Ive run 5K + on plugged tires. I have had to buy more plugs several times but they are available from Parts Unlimited.
                        they are far better and more durable then the sticky string type.

The biggest difference it the rasp and the plugs
                        with the string kits the rasp is larger then the plug to allow for the install tool and string to enter the hole. Nothing holds the string in except a bit of contact cement.
                        With the mushroom plug kits the rasp and install tool is 1/2 the size of the plug and the plug is pressed into the hole the mushroom head prevents the plug from ever coming out.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                        X