X

Required Chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Required Chain

Hello everyone, this is my first post, however I am proud to be part of the Kat community!

I just bought a 2001 Suzuki Katana, and there is some work to be done on it.

I knew some links on the chain were seized so...
    I pulled off the chain, it says 530HDO on every link. I cleaned it thoroughly to realize several of the rollers are completely missing and the rest are cracked or intact still. The chain definitely needs to be replaced.
    I began looking to buy a new chain for it only to realize the stock size is supposedly a 520 ?? I checked the rear sprocket and the front for wear and they are both acceptable as they were supposedly replaced last year from the previous owner, who also stated the chain was replaced, but is now wrecked.
    The rear sprocket is made by Vortex it appears and says 528-47.
    Any idea what size of chain I need and what is going on with the 530 chain and all?

Stock size is 530. count the links on your chain and that is exactly what you need Welcome to KR
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Stock size is 530. count the links on your chain and that is exactly what you need Welcome to KR
      Alright, thanks for the quick reply. My Suzuki dealer (has terrible service) said 520 was stock that is why I became all confused. Any idea why the rollers went, 50% of the O-rings were still intact.

Comment

Poor maintenance? Probably wasn't replaced last year if it was that far gone. Dealer may have confused it with a GSXR, what a moron.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

So to get this right the stock setup is:
          15 tooth front sprocket
          47 tooth rear sprocket
          530 chain with 118 links

Comment

Yes that would be the stock setup but if you have a vortex rear then your chain is 520. It is also recommended to replace everything at once. If your chain is that bad off then your sprockets may be tweaked as well. If you don't replace the sprockets it could cause premature wear on the chain which will decrease its life.
            Originally posted by chrisgreer23
            Looks like Crash has lived up to his name.
            2000 Kat 600 Totaled, Parting out WHAT DO YOU NEED
            1983 Suzuki GR650- Sold
            2006 Suzuki SV1000S- Gone but never forgotten
            1967 Pontiac Firebird Convertible-The other project 350/4 spd and some stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
              Yes that would be the stock setup but if you have a vortex rear then your chain is 520. It is also recommended to replace everything at once. If your chain is that bad off then your sprockets may be tweaked as well. If you don't replace the sprockets it could cause premature wear on the chain which will decrease its life.
              The chain was a 530 that was on a 528-47 Vortex rear sprocket. If I am just changing the chain, isn't that rear sprocket a 530?

Comment

You'd be best served by "zeroing" out the bike - meaning giving it a thorough once over to ensure all systems are 100%, and you won't face any issues during the season, with the exception of required maintenance. Buy a chain & sprocket kit - for around $150.00 it will ensure all three will mesh properly, and not cause any uneven wear to the "newer" pieces. Change oil & filter, plugs, and flush your brake lines with fresh fluid. Check replace the air filter and tires as needed. Doing these things will greatly increase your enjoyment rather than hamper it due to taking the bike down for needed service; or worse, breaking down on a ride. Better to be proactive, than reactive.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                  You'd be best served by "zeroing" out the bike - meaning giving it a thorough once over to ensure all systems are 100%, and you won't face any issues during the season, with the exception of required maintenance. Buy a chain & sprocket kit - for around $150.00 it will ensure all three will mesh properly, and not cause any uneven wear to the "newer" pieces. Change oil & filter, plugs, and flush your brake lines with fresh fluid. Check replace the air filter and tires as needed. Doing these things will greatly increase your enjoyment rather than hamper it due to taking the bike down for needed service; or worse, breaking down on a ride. Better to be proactive, than reactive.
                  I looked at both sprockets and the front has very little if any wear, the rear has some wear on it, but nothing extreme. It appears as though the old chain wore down the outside front corner. Its not rounded just appears almost chipped. The oil was changed, the rear tire is being replaced with a Michelin PR2, and the brake fluid is being flushed. All that's left to check is the air filter and the plugs.

Images, I apologize in advance for the low light.

On the tooth in the middle (the cleaner looking one) you can notice the groove/chip in the tooth I am talking about.

Last edited by Blazing Hornet; 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                    if you have a vortex rear then your chain is 520.
                    How is that exactly? I have a 530 Vortex sprocket. Vortex makes more than one size...

Although to the OP, yes I would replace the chain and both sprockets at the same time.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

I see pretty extream wear on that rear sprocket. I would replace it. For the price difference, the full Kit would be the way to go.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        I see pretty extream wear on that rear sprocket. I would replace it. For the price difference, the full Kit would be the way to go.

Krey
                        Where is this full kit?

Comment

Here's a link to a full chain/sprocket kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RK-Ch...item43a660b25a

Shop it out, you can find a set cheaper through Jake Wilson, Competition Accessories, Ron Ayers, etc.
                          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                            Here's a link to a full chain/sprocket kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RK-Ch...item43a660b25a

Shop it out, you can find a set cheaper through Jake Wilson, Competition Accessories, Ron Ayers, etc.
                            How do you know if they are both steel sprockets. Ideally I was looking for an EK chain as they are better than RK's.

EDIT: I ordered a EK 530SRX Chain and a 15 tooth JT steel front sprocket and a 47 tooth JT steel rear.

It will ease my mind more knowing that everything in the drive line is new
                            Last edited by Blazing Hornet; 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

that wear looks like is because of bad rear wheel alignment ( plus milage ofcourse )
                              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X