X

Re Sproketing.?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re Sproketing.?

I want to re sprocket my kat but i dont know what combination to go with...I was looking at some on the store on this site...I just want something to give it a little more bottom end but i still want to be able to ride the highway without redlining...what do most of you guys/girls run or recommend..?
    Last edited by Kattie; 01-18-2011, 04:20 AM.
    Speeding Wont Kill You,Whatever Stops You Will

My Build
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=114501

Originally posted by Kattie View Post
    I want to re sprocket my kat but i dont know what combination to go with...I was looking at some on the store on this site...I just want something to give it a little more bottom end but i still want to be able to ride the highway without redlining...what do most of you guys/girls run or recommend..?

Going up 3 on the rear will drop about 500 rpms for the speed your traveling.

Prior - 60mph = aprox 6k rpms in 6th
    after - 60mph = 6.5k rpms in 6th.

basically makes it feel like you added another bottom gear, and 2nd will almost feel like it has the torque of first but with a little higher top end than first did. That follows through all the other gears as well... 6th will feel like 5th torque wise, but ... still have a little higher top than 5th did.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I highly recommend the 15/47 set up for all years and models.

You can find those in stock, ready to go in the KR Store
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        I highly recommend the 15/47 set up for all years and models.

You can find those in stock, ready to go in the KR Store

this is what I did with my post 750, factory is 15/45, i inadvertently ordered a 15/47 setup... glad i did.

A bit more oomph, and put the Rs in the right place for twistys running...

See My Garage for mods...
        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

yea but for the 600s that came with 15/47 it would add 0 ommph, just newer sprockets an chain, so I wouldn't recomend that one set up to everyone
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

15/47 wasn't the stock set up on all bikes all years. Many Pre had 14 tooth front sprockets.

I still DO recommend it for all years/engine sizes.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

lol I didnt say 15/47 was stock on all of them, just saying for those that have that stock combo I wouldnt recommend that same setup that they currently have to give them a little more accel if they are wanting it
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I had 15\45 and went to 14\50, much better.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So what would be the best combo to get, then? What exactly were the gains for going from 15/45 to 14/50? And what are the primary CONS to changing up that ratio, besides delayed or early power distribution?

Basically, what physical LONG TERM damage can that do to your bike? Just curious, I'll probably need a new set of sprockets and chain, so if I need it, might as well make it an improvement!

Comment

Basically you trade torque off the line for top end speed.

There's no long term damage to the bike from re-gearing other than your speedo will be off.

Normally I don't recommend you go more than 10% off the stock gearing.

You can read more about it here
                    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Hi every one!

I went from stock 15/45 to 16/43, Ok I lost at the start but gain at the top.I started with 4,750rpm to about 4,300 rpm at 60mph

Comment

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
                        "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

That Gearing Commander program is great...Thanks for the post

Comment

You're welcome.
                            "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Working...
                            X