Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Thinking of running a 16 front / 43 rear sprocket setup?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of running a 16 front / 43 rear sprocket setup?

Anyone ever tried this combination?
    I want to give my motor a break on those 2 hour drives so I was thinking of dropping the RPMs down about 2 grand. Also, I ride with this guy who has a pretty bad Harley Davidson that he spent loads of cash on. I hang with him now but I want to smoke that @zz, plus these other unsuspecting sport bike riders.
    My two concerns are: Is the bike going to pull it self up high inclines such as when on a loading ramp or a tall hill.
    Next, is my clutch going to wear too fast ?
    Thanks

Oh, its a Pre 600 and I'm currently running a 15 tooth front with open air filters.
    Last edited by katanarider; 03-21-2010, 02:13 PM.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

You seem to want conflicting things. You want more relaxed cruising and the ability to accelerate faster.
    As to the cruising, your gearing would be too tall, for a 600 especially.
    As to the acceleration, you'd ruin it.

Comment

It's all relative. Just make sure you are in the appropriate gear for the RPM you are turning.

Also understand that top speed is not just effected by gearing...and past a certain speed HP must overcome drag...and well...it is a Kat..lol...

Not to mention with a 16 tooth front you might have to "make some room" to the inside of the sprocket cover to get clearance.

Also remember that you can't compare the RPM on an inline 4 motorcycle when cruising to a car...when the redline of an engine is 10K...it's not a big deal to cruise at 6K-7K RPM when on the highway. It's what the engine was designed for.

Also you'll reach a certain point where the MPG benefits start sliding away, as the drivetrain is working harder to maintain speed.

Comment

+1 to Ctandc

Comment

I'm not looking to accelerate faster. I understand that acceleration will slow but I will be able to stay in gear longer while accerating. Such as when my compition pulls his clutch to change gears I will pull past him.
          Once the Katana is on a roll it seems plenty strong to pull my big butt.
          The speed limit I'm trying to challenge is 60-70 MPH range. I'm taching 4,100 at 60 and 5K at 70. Thats too much for my liking. I feel that the bike is plenty strong to pull at 3-4 grand. I know its not a car but it is a machine.
          You have to admit that with the 15/46 set up it reaches redline pretty quick. It seems too quick.
          I've also thought about the 16/44.
          I'm thinking that will put my RPM at 1,500 less rather than 2k from the 43 rear. That should give the Kat 500 rpms to build torque. Equaling about 2,600 at 60mph and 3,500 at 70mph.
          I'm just guessing the RPMS so maybe I dont know what I'm talking about? You guys are more experianced than I am , so I take all your knowledge as a blessing.
          Thanks everybody.

Comment

i dont have anything to osay to help the situation. i was just curious what size the stock sprockets are on a 1993 600 kat. if anyone knows. i was just curious
            When You Throw Caution To The Wind, You Can Sit Back And Watch Your Life Begin.

Comment

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

[QUOTE=katanarider;1916750] I'm taching 4,100 at 60 and 5K at 70.

Wish my pre was that low i am at like 7k at 70
                1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

5k revs at 70mph is too high?

You bought the wrong bike.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    5k revs at 70mph is too high?

You bought the wrong bike.
                    While a little too blunt, I do agree. The kat engines (especially the 600s) are not torquey mills. You might be better suited on a twin.

That said, try what you want, it's your bike. I think you'll find that you both make the bike slower, and make it labor harder on the highway.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I agree with L&L and Scotty. Plus i believe you will be closer to damaging the kat engine pulling at 3-4K on the highway. I buzz my 600 at 6-8K all day and get great mileage and performance. You will be lugging the engine at your desired operating range. The engine "wakes up" at 6k, meaning starts operating at volumetric efficiency.

Do what you want to your bike but put the shoe on the other foot, let's spin a Harley at 7000 all day and see how it lasts. Taking something and using it out of it's engineered use will propagate negative results.

Comment

Ok, first I'm not even getting email notifications about this thread. Its only after my reply I receive emails. Can I change that setting?

Now to the good stuff, I just installed the Supersprox rear/ 43 tooth. I'm running a 15 tooth front. Just changing the rear sprocket has lowered the revs about 3-4 hundred RPMs. Now I'm taching 4,800-4,900 at 70mph. The bike runs awesome ! I'm going to go ahead with the 16 front when I save up for a new RK Gold chain. Here are some pics on the new install along with the hugger. I know, I know its beautiful

I might add that when I upgraded to the 15 tooth front from the 14 it seemed to pull off NOT as easy as before ( like no Bull sh!T !., rite ) But just the rear sprocket which is equilivant to the change I made ( according to the gearing chart) as to the fronts ratio from 14 to 15, isin't quit the same respose. I mean, I really dont feel the difference in the engine strain when I pull off from a dead stand still. However, I think the bike coast alot easier like it reversed the mechanical ability. It feels like the rear wheel turns the engine easier when coasting.
                        Dont worry there is No charge for this information .
                        Last edited by katanarider; 04-06-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

O.K, I should inform you that upon more ride time that I've started to feel the difference. I was hoping to be able to out perform a Post Kat by running abit taller gear ratio (lower numberic) but I'm thinking twice about that 16 tooth front. As it is now I'm geared just a bit lower with the 15/43=2.867 than a Post with a 16/45=2.813. Meaning I will take off better. A stock post kat with 15/45 equals=3.000. and the stock pre 14/46= 3.286. With the 16 front a Post 600 will pull off O.K from a stand still but I cant tell you to go any higher than that.
                          Currently I'm taching 4,100 @ 60 mph and 4,800 @ 70 mph
                          I'm 250lbs / 600cc
                          Last edited by katanarider; 05-19-2010, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Looks like it's time to do a shovel chop with that hugger mod, never seen those 2 together before.

As for for your wisdom being free...

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                              Looks like it's time to do a shovel chop with that hugger mod, never seen those 2 together before.

As for for your wisdom being free...

lol... Well, not all of us are all knowing

As for the Hugger/ Shovel chop... My bike is lowered so when I sit down you don't even see the Hugger so, the shovel makes it look lower by rapping around the tire some. Just my personal preferance.

Comment

Working...
                              X